The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uneducated lab retriever color question

Default uneducated lab retriever color question

I am not searching for a pup as I am waiting on my black lab to come in. But while I was on the great search for my puppy, I noticed many "silver, white, charcoal, and red labs" at much higher cost from the breeder for them. From what I have heard they are not even considered pure bred? So my final question is,why are they so expensive if nobody truly wants them? And why are they not wanted?

The red Labrador is a purebred Labrador just as much is your black one that you were about to purchase. Why some people charge more for them is another topic. Largely because they are not that common. The silver and the charcoal are not recognized by the Labrador retriever club. Many believe that they are not purebred Labradors. I would fall into that category. The white labradors are usually yellows. I have no other comments to make about them.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by jdemink View Post
    I am not searching for a pup as I am waiting on my black lab to come in. But while I was on the great search for my puppy, I noticed many "silver, white, charcoal, and red labs" at much higher cost from the breeder for them. From what I have heard they are not even considered pure bred? So my final question is,why are they so expensive if nobody truly wants them? And why are they not wanted?
    As to the first part of your question: They may or may not be pure breeds...AKC recognizes 1) Black 2) Yellow 3) Chocolate...White all the way through dark red are variations between Black and Yellow.. Red labs are NOT recognised as a Labrador. (They are yellow)

The second part of your question: They are so expensive because somebody truly WANTS them...or else they wouldn't command that price. ( Why anybody would want them is another question)

Enjoy your new pup!!!!!

Randy
    Last edited by Rnd; 02-08-2014 at 12:46 AM.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Fox Red is a recognized shade of yellow. It is found in the Standard as set forth by the Labrador Retriever Club and adopted by the AKC.

"Color
    The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification."

Silver and Charcoal are not mentioned in the Labrador Retriever Club Standards.
    Last edited by Lady Duck Hunter; 02-08-2014 at 05:32 AM.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Don't even think of asking about the new camo Lab

now in secret development trials in the Arctic to help the AKC overcome its color blindness...

MG

Well thank you everyone, my curiosity just kind of had me wondering what he big yank was

...my curiosity just kind of had me wondering what the big yank was
    "The Big Yank" by consensus and results is the finest and best-trained retrieving gundog on the planet: a black FC/AFC Lab.

MG

Please tell me your not buying your puppy from the same breeder thats selling the silvers and charcoals are you?

No I'm not, mine is coming from an all black litter, I just saw people that had them, I knew to stay away

No I'm not, mine is coming from an all black litter, I just saw people that had them, I knew to stay away
    Good for you. Enjoy your new baby!
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)