The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Used diesel

Default Used diesel

Need some input on the used diesel's. looking for a used 1 ton 4 door, I know to stay away from ford's 6.0, and I currently have a 7.3 which I am keeping, any thoughts or experiences with, chevy, dodge or ford, any year preference? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prairiewind View Post
    Need some input on the used diesel's. looking for a used 1 ton 4 door, I know to stay away from ford's 6.0, and I currently have a 7.3 which I am keeping, any thoughts or experiences with, chevy, dodge or ford, any year preference? Thanks
    I disagree but would only recommend a 6.0 if "bulletproofed"...with 2006-2007 being preferred. No first gen 6.0...wiring harnesses and such.
    Last edited by kjrice; 02-13-2014 at 05:25 PM.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

my 2003 dodge ram has been awesome, 300,000 miles on it the 5.9L has performed fantastic

Gm with Duramax/Allison is a nice truck. Like any truck, there are know problems with each year to look out for. 01-04 have injector problems. Make sure they have already been replaced. 01-07 have a transfer case issue that can be prevented with an inexpensive fix. The engine and transmission pulls well and are generally very reliable.

6.0s are good engines as long as they are not abused or molested. A genuine stock 6.0, a later version as stated above, will make a very reliable truck.

Kade21 - I have a 6.0L that has been babied and I made it to 150K before I needed the 6K surgery.
    What you get out of it is what you put into it, then a fat lady sings.
    Marc Broussard

As a car dealer I would recommend the Dodge diesels over any of the above if you want pure work out of one. The 5.9L and the 6.7L are great engines. The 5.9L with a standard tranny is your best bet. You cant go wrong with a duramax either but for pulling things my choice is a Dodge. The new 6.7L fords are also good but havent been around long enough to get alot of high mileage ones around to find their quirks.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

I just very recently bought a used 2007 F-250 with a 6.0 and 53K miles, thus far I really like it. I have owned a 2006 silverado 3500 duelly with the duramax and allison tranny. I liked it very much as well.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

For 2012 or newer Dodge with the 6.7 Cummins. Ford 6.7 is good motor and ford has more options. Only reason to get GM is the Allison trans.