The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chest Wader ?????

Default Chest Wader ?????

I recently found out after stepping into 35 degree water, that my 8 year old Herter's chest waders have seen their last duck hunt as the boots are shot! With that being said, I am now looking for replacement waders. What are some suggestions for nice durable neoprene waders, preferably 5mm. I hunt a lot of brushy swampy wet hole that can be hard on thin waders. I would really like to get another pair of the Herter's but that is proving to be difficult. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Cabelas supermag 1600 . Good waders and GREAT return policy . If they are less than a year old ,they replace them free with no questions. I'm hard on waders and was on my 2nd pair when I cut them breaking ice, as in the past I called them and let them know that i could not be without waders ,so they sent me a new pair within 3-5 days ,and also included a shipping label to return my old ones.

Another time I had them stored in the off season in my mower shed and the mice ate a hole in them...less than a year old ...."your new ones are on the way" no questions asked.

My advise is to buy them right before season and make sure you check them before season of the next year (nothing like having new waders to start off each season). I'm really hard on waders!

My father in law has had his for 4 seasons now and they have held up nicely for him, so they seem to stand the test of time as well.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Thank you, I was looking at them earlier.

After years of neoprene....I have switched to breathable...will never own neoprene again. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    ...will never own neoprene again......
    Me either.

Neoprene makes great wetsuits and dog vests. However, for waders, Gore-tex is where it's at.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Any breathable ones in particular you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    Cabelas supermag 1600 . Good waders and GREAT return policy . If they are less than a year old ,they replace them free with no questions. I'm hard on waders and was on my 2nd pair when I cut them breaking ice, as in the past I called them and let them know that i could not be without waders ,so they sent me a new pair within 3-5 days ,and also included a shipping label to return my old ones.

Another time I had them stored in the off season in my mower shed and the mice ate a hole in them...less than a year old ...."your new ones are on the way" no questions asked.

My advise is to buy them right before season and make sure you check them before season of the next year (nothing like having new waders to start off each season). I'm really hard on waders!

My father in law has had his for 4 seasons now and they have held up nicely for him, so they seem to stand the test of time as well.
    X2 These are all I have been using for six years. Last pair was 2.5 years old and got a pin hole sized leak on the inner thigh. They pro-rated the price and a new pair cost me about 60 Bucks.
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

Roger's has some nice 5mm neoprenes. I bought a pair this year and like them, seem pretty rugged and priced right too. Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe Creek Retrievers View Post
    Any breathable ones in particular you recommend?
    If you have the funds, you can't beat Simms.

If you need to budget, Cabelas Dry Plus is just fine.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    If you have the funds, you can't beat Simms.

If you need to budget, Cabelas Dry Plus is just fine.
    X2.................
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff