RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Chest Wader ?????

9K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Cowtown 
#1 ·
I recently found out after stepping into 35 degree water, that my 8 year old Herter's chest waders have seen their last duck hunt as the boots are shot! With that being said, I am now looking for replacement waders. What are some suggestions for nice durable neoprene waders, preferably 5mm. I hunt a lot of brushy swampy wet hole that can be hard on thin waders. I would really like to get another pair of the Herter's but that is proving to be difficult. Thank you in advance for your responses.

#2 ·
Cabelas supermag 1600 . Good waders and GREAT return policy . If they are less than a year old ,they replace them free with no questions. I'm hard on waders and was on my 2nd pair when I cut them breaking ice, as in the past I called them and let them know that i could not be without waders ,so they sent me a new pair within 3-5 days ,and also included a shipping label to return my old ones.

Another time I had them stored in the off season in my mower shed and the mice ate a hole in them...less than a year old ...."your new ones are on the way" no questions asked.

My advise is to buy them right before season and make sure you check them before season of the next year (nothing like having new waders to start off each season). I'm really hard on waders!

My father in law has had his for 4 seasons now and they have held up nicely for him, so they seem to stand the test of time as well.

#7 ·
X2 These are all I have been using for six years. Last pair was 2.5 years old and got a pin hole sized leak on the inner thigh. They pro-rated the price and a new pair cost me about 60 Bucks.

#4 ·
After years of neoprene....I have switched to breathable...will never own neoprene again. Jim

#11 ·
For the breathable insulated waders the Banded ones are top notch. Like putting on a pair of overall bibs that keep you dry. Will say that they are not as warm as neoprene if you are standing in flooded timber in the boot area but the new models that they are coming out with are going to have more insulation in the boots.

#13 ·
These are becoming all the rage in the PAC NW. https://usia.com/shop/waders/

They are made in NW Oregon and they custom make them to your size, can choose boots, they have Bogs now, and custom pockets etc. This company make dive suits for the military. They are also coming out with a new indestructible material version later this spring but are more pricey. The reviews on these are outstanding, they are not breathable and the owner will tell you breathable is not waterproof. www.ifish.net has a ton of reviews of them and the owner of the company is on there. These will be my next waders.

#14 ·
Have had Cabela's Dry Plus for three seasons and have held up just fine.
Like some others have posted, the boots on breathable waders don't have the insulation most neoprene waders have, but it's not that big of a deal to me. Some wool socks and if needed some sole warmers and I'm good to go.

#19 ·
I would never own Neoprene Waders again!! My most used Wader is Lacross Alpha Swampfox especially for warm weather hunting. It does not feel like you are wearing waders at all. The Mack's Praire Breathable with 1000gram boot is heavier construction than Lacross Swampfox and will do better in cold weather and brushy conditions.

#23 ·
Something I learned about the breathable waders from talking to SIMMS warranty; Breathable waders are not designed to be worn with jeans, the rough fabric will cause premature wear on the inside of the breathable fabric causing premature failure. SIMMS suggest a wading pant made from polartec material but any soft fabric will be better that the coarse fabric like blue jeans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.