The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Downhill slide sucks!

Default Downhill slide sucks!

My almost 11 year old is slowly slipping downhill. Nothing much we can do as he gets anything and everything the vet advises. We went today and got carpet runners to cover all the hardwood hallways he has to cross to make them less slippy. WE thought we had put the old ones from 11 years ago in the attic but must have tossed them when Mickey went to the bridge. I hate having to take this step although I know it is what he needs.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Sorry about your old guy.
    My old guy, Hudson, is 12+ and we are going through issues with him also. Some deramaxx has helped some.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I feel your pain. I have two old ladies, both mix-breeds, both large dogs. My 13.5 yo, a husky/shepherd cross, about 75 pounds, has Cushings and what appears to be spinal degeneration. She's losing muscle tone and control of her hind legs. Most times, she's OK, but her legs have slid out from under a few times lately and I've been afraid it would be the time she wouldn't be able to get back up. My 15.5 yo, a fluffy orange and white dog of about 60 pounds, weirdly, still has the smallest vet folder of all my dogs, but even she is fading. Her hearing is very poor and her rear end control is sometimes wobbly, but not as bad as the other old lady's. More ominous, she's leaking when she's sleeping. Not most nights, but I often find a little puddle on the floor where she sleeps.

The worst part of a gradual downhill slide is that there's no clear-cut point at which you say, "It's time." I hate the thought of waiting until they truly cannot stand, but as long as they are still ambulatory and eating well (voraciously, for both of them), I can't call the vet. Lots of people will say "You'll know when it's time," but everyone else must have more insight than I do, because I've never once felt I know when it was time.

Good luck with your old guy.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    More ominous, she's leaking when she's sleeping. Not most nights, but I .
    MY soon to be 12 year old female was leaking in her sleep. Ask your vet about PROIN. Shadow takes a very low dose 1/2 a pill once a day. She has not had an oops in over a year. I was able to deal with the accidents but she was very upset as she knew she messed up( not her fault) IT is cheap.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Hope all turns out! My 12yo so far very good, running, out every day etc. I am not looking forward to the day when problems starts, the downhill slide as you call it. I hope to be able to do all I can for him. Know what you are going through. Hard to watch. Take care!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

The "Downhill slide sucks!"

I would have agreed with that up until last summer....then it suddenly "hit me" with my Taffey. In that short time of realization, I decided to try and be positive about the inevitable and focus on the good times. She kind of revealed the idea to me and I acted on it. There will be no morning of her passing....it will be more of a celebration.

The Celebration of Taffey (link)
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Kwicklabs, that is a great tribute...

When we got back to the van she paused and looked back as if to say
    "It's been fun."........and I cried.

You got me with that...

DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

KwickLabs, That was a great post. Those pictures sure tell the story. I always take pictures of my dog when we are hunting and this year I found myself wondering just how many more hunts he will be able to go on as he is now 11. Even though he has always been in good shape, the last year or so I can definately see things slowing down. Even when he cannot go anymore we just have to remember all the goods times that we gave them. One thing that I do know is that every time I walk by or he is by me I make sure to give him an extra pat on the head or a good pet. Of course he has always gotten that as he is pretty spoiled. My thoughts go out to luvmylabs23139. It sounds like you are taking good care of him. Take care.

Great post Kwicklabs.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

I have recently tried Toe Grips for my nearly 15 yo BLF. They slip onto her nails allowing her to grip those nasty wood and tile floors. Just do a web search for them. She is still doing great walks/runs but those darn slick floors can be a problem.

Betty Knight