The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Downhill slide sucks!

No doubt the slide sucks, but the ride is so worth it!

Last Thursday night, I had to put my 9 1/2 year old partner, Maverick, down. He slipped a disc in his neck in July and I struggled with that. In November, the Vet removed a grade 2 Mast Cell Tumor from his leg. I really didn't think we'd get to hunt again, but we were able to 4 times this year. It was awesome and we took some awesome pictures. Apparently, the cancer was fairly agressive and in the x-ray the vet took at the emergency clinic said there was a large mass on his spleen that had ruptured and it was filling his stomach with blood. The decision wasn't hard, but it hurt like hell. In the end, I know it was the right thing to do. I know he knew how much I loved him.

It's been a hard few days and with the support of friends and loved ones, we've done pretty well. He wasn't my first pet, but he was my first hunting dog. And as you all know, they're really companions, friends, partners, etc.

My mom asked me how I was handling it this weekend, I mean for goodness sake, Maverick has been on my folks Christmas Card for 9 years. I said, "If someone asked me right now if I'd do it all over again, I'd tell them sign me up, right now. The pain I feel now is no where near all the happiness, fun, joy and excitement that boy brought me over the last 1/3 of my life."

We never got him some of the titles he deserved. Once life really started and a wife, a job and kids came along, training had to take a bit of a back seat. I really and truly believe that he was that dog that no one ever hears about because he was laying by my fireplace. And I wouldn't trade seeing him there for anything.

I just hope I made him as happy as he made me.

To the OP and all of those out there going through similar situations, my heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to you and your buddies.

I know there are dogs in Heaven because it wouldn't be the paradise it's advertise to be without them.

I couldn't help myself, so I had to post a few pics from Maverick's last hunt.

Last edited by Trent Goree; 02-10-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

I'm getting there myself with my 10yr old. He's still in great shape but you can tell he's slowing down a step or two. I'm definitely not looking forward to his last days. He was/is my very first hunting dog and Hunt Test dog. He started my time running HT's. FT's and Waterfowling.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Kwicklabs, that is an absolutely beautiful tribute to your dog. Well done!
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"

Trent, if pic #2 was mine, I would have that blown up and framed. Titles and blue ribbons are the icing on the cake. For me, your pic it what it's all about.
    Last edited by Dave Farrar; 02-10-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    The "Downhill slide sucks!"

I would have agreed with that up until last summer....then it suddenly "hit me" with my Taffey. In that short time of realization, I decided to try and be positive about the inevitable and focus on the good times. She kind of revealed the idea to me and I acted on it. There will be no morning of her passing....it will be more of a celebration.

The Celebration of Taffey (link)
    Jim,
    Great post...she is a proud looking girl, that has given you her best. I know how happy our dogs are when they work, so I know she has had a wonderful life.

My girl Maddie, is now 11 and this winter has been hard on her. To much snow and little chance to work or even play outside. She is showing stiffness in her front shoulders and back. Vet says it is just her age. She is not as accomplished as your Taffey is, but she has been a great water dog for me and my two adult sons. I hope I can go forward with her, following your example and celebrate her life, not morn her as she crosses over the bridge.

Thanks, for sharing your perspective

Jim's lovely tribute to Taffey has inspired me to take more pictures of Puffin, as the two are the same age. My biggest regret is that I didn't have my camera when Doug shot a goose during early season (it had a broken wing) that we let her retrieve, as her hunting days are over. However, around Christmas I got the sweetest email from a guy I'd lost touch with, who got a puppy from me back in 2000. I'd lost touch with him many years ago when his family moved from VA to Ohio. His son, age 10, grew up and learned to hunt with Sprig, who is a littermate to Puffin. The two are the only remaining pups from this litter that are still alive, and oddly, the two of them still look alike much as they did when they were fat, fuzzy little pups. The proud dad sent me this photo of old Sprig and his young son on a December hunt. Sprig looks so much like his sister it made me cry.

Here they are in 2000; Puffin is the darker brown in the front of the wagon and Sprig is in the back.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Trent,
    Great post, and what a nice looking guy he was.....your last shot of him sleeping on his 'catch' is wonderful!

Dave and Swampcollielover,
    Thank you both for the kind words. Pictures are in the process of being printed!
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Trent,
    Great post, and what a nice looking guy he was.....your last shot of him sleeping on his 'catch' is wonderful!
    Agreed--that picture really brought a smile to my face. I'm a sucker for those wise old gray faces anyway and that is one sweet shot.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I agree, Trent's pictures are all great but my favorite is #2. Just a guy and his dog.
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"