RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Redheads and Greenwings

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Cashmoney 
#1 ·
Here are a few from this afternoon. As I approached my wetland, about twenty ducks got up, including sprigs, mottled ducks, at least one widgeon drake, several redheads, and small flock of greenwings. I was really hoping that the widgeons and sprigs would return, but only the redheads and greenwings reappeared. The flocks are getting bigger though, so maybe by the weekend.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great shots, Not many birds better than a drake redhead!

#5 ·
Thanks,
I liked that one a lot too, but I wish the light had been better. It was quartering from behind me but too far to my right to get the best color on the duck. There were four GW drakes and two hens. The drakes appeared to be displaying for the the hens. I didn't realize that courting behavior would occur this early in the year while the ducks are still on their wintering ground, but that is sure what it looked like to me. It is really the posture that makes that photo and it was clearly doing that either for the other drakes or for the two hens. Would be interesting to see if that behavior would occur without the presence of hens.
Thanks again. I hope to be in the blind again Sat morn if the weather is appropriate.
As I said after last Sat's shoot, this wetland wasn't even there until sometime in April of last year, so this is the first winter I have had the opportunity to shoot there. Not sure what may be showing up, but intend to spend what time I can to see. Really hoping for more duck species and some wading birds.

#8 ·
Great redheads! GW is also a wonderful shot. As a decoy carver I found the floatation of the redheads inspiring. Normally we have our decoys float higher in the water than real life birds do. I might change that a bit on my contest decoys to see if it works with judges. Thanks

#9 ·
I keep forgetting to include the tech info. All five photos were shot using a Canon 30D digital SLR, with a Canon 600mm F:4 IS L lens + a 1.4X teleconverter. ISO 400, F stops either 5.6 or 7.1 and shutter speeds from 1/640 sec to 1/800 sec.

#11 ·
Ha .. I was just about to ask for the EXIF .. Thanks... Wow 30D ? great shots... the first two are tiny bit soft probably light not helping.. :) but don't take my feedback to heart I'm no expert. I'm wondering if the 1.4x isn't begging to be stopped down further? *(should be able to go one more stop with the lens being IS?) The other photos you posted were spot on IMO maybe just the lighting on these.. I can imagine a non crop (full frame) sensor would be awesome with that amazing lens !

Now that I look again... perhaps some focal point issue? Looks like the focal point on the first few is on the duck's back? Hit 'em in the eye ! :) You do good work !

Thanks for sharing !

#15 · (Edited)
I was looking at that softness too and am a bit puzzled. I have several thoughts. I don't really think it was the light, but it might have been moisture in the air. Also, I, as nearly always, shot those in RAW (which means no in camera processing) and when I converted to Jpeg I chose a pretty high compression/low quality setting in photoshop (5 of 12 on photoshop's scale). I did no post processing except crop (most importantly no sharpening). I am going to go back and see what I get if I use smart sharpen. I also am planning to send the lens in for a good cleaning a bit later in the spring, once the waterfowl have moved out. Just had both camera bodies cleaned by Canon, so stuff on the sensor shouldn't be the issue. Of course, it could just be that I was not hitting the focus dead on the eye, the ducks were moving.

The guy who was shooting with me said he had the same problem which is one thing the at makes me think that in might have been moisture in the air. Still, will sharpen a couple and repost.

#17 · (Edited)
OK here are the sharpened images. I believe that sharpening has made a noticeable difference and that since, when one shoots in RAW, the camera does no processing of the image, sharpening is a necessary step to get the best image possible. See if you don't think it made a visible difference. May have over done it a bit. I am not completely comfortable with sharpening. One can definitely go too far.

#19 ·
Definitely helped after PP ! I would say you are correct with relation to the heavy
air... probably fooled the AF just a bit thus the ever so slight front focus. Great photos !

RAW is always best IMHO unless you need the high buffering burst .... Keep them coming ! They are great!

I just sold my gear a couple months ago .... Just wasn't using it much since I'm not poking lions with a stick ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.