The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking the right puppy??

Default Picking the right puppy??

I am in the hunt again for a new lab pup this spring. i have been doing alot of research on breeders and pedigrees. i am not looking for top end best breeding ever, just looking for a great upland dog. Last spring i bought a pup from a very respectable breeder but the pup turned into a dud. never eager to work, or run, or try to please. I ended up re-homing her to a very good home with small kids and shes been their best friend every since. so with that being said, what are some characteristics that might help me find the right pup for upland hunting and possible hunt tests.
    any info or 2cents will be helpfull.
    Thanks in advance everybody!!
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

Pick the breeder first then the litter. If you do that its been my experience you won't get a dud.
    Last edited by Bob Z; 02-10-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Find a litter that has parents you would like to own. If you would like to own both the dam and sire, and they both show what you want in a dog, then more than likely you will enjoy a pup from this litter.

I've seen a bunch of litters ~85% of the time all the pups take after the mom. I'm sure dad throws in something but usually; they get most of mom's (good and bad) quirks. Thus one could do worse than get on a waiting list for an excellent bitch, and hope the owner is smart enough to find a good balance for her. If uplands your game, find an active upland bitch (drive, intelligence, stamina, & nose), and snatch up a pup; Mom will have them out exploring, and hunting as soon as they can walk. Heck My girl would catch game (coots/ and a rabbit) and bring them back for her pups, to play with. A live rabbit brought into your garage with 6 pups after it is not an ideal situation, I'm still not sure how that happened .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-10-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

Kevin, I'd give Jeff Fuller from Soggy Acres a shout. Pickett is an excellent upland dog, and seems very laid back when not working. SDA gives you a chance to actually seem him work in the field and see if his style interests you. Jeff is pretty well in tune with the fact that different owners want different things from their dogs and tries to produce well rounded pups rather than just FC/AFC dogs. If this doesn't seem like your cup of tea, then no worries.

http://www.soggyacres.com/
    http://sportingdogadventures.com/
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

Find the litter, then let the breeder pick for you.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I've seen a bunch of litters ~85% of the time all the pups take after the mom. I'm sure dad throws in something but usually; they get most of mom's (good and bad) quirks. Thus one could do worse than get on a waiting list for an excellent bitch, and hope the owner is smart enough to find a good balance for her.
    A breeder I know made this assertion the other day. I found it interesting and even more so now that I know he isn't the only one who sees this.

Good advice above. Find a breeder who has been doing this awhile, who takes extra time and care w/ observing the litters, testing them in various situations, etc.. Be honest up front w/ what you desire in a pup-- temperament, energy, looks, etc.. Do you want the bold, outgoing pup? Do you have the experience as a trainer to handle the firecracker?

I am constantly amazed that some people still ask first and foremost, "How much?" and then insist they pick their own pup based on 1 or 2 short visits when they know (or should know) that the breeder is with those pups observing 24/7 for 7-8 wks and know the mother at least, very well...

Communication and trust are so important. Good luck! Anne

Look for a breeding that you like, I like to find an FC/AFC x MH if it is a breeding you really like try to be the first to put down a deposit. When you go to pick out your pup take a live bird pigeon, chucker ect. Let all the puppy out and the one that gets the bird first and will not let the other dogs have it is the dog I want. If the breeder has done everything they can to help make the litter birdy there will be one in there that wants the bird the most lol. I would not go pick out a pup without taking a bird dead or alive just my thoughts.
    HRCH DB's Classic Little Mustang, Shelby
    HRCH Rangers Keeper Shooten Staight, QAA Briley
    DB's Classic Old Mopar, Charger
    Black Shadow's Bump-N-Rub-N-&-Run-N, Bristol
    Black Shadow's Itch-N-To Go, Chigger

I've seen a bunch of litters ~85% of the time all the pups take after the mom. I'm sure dad throws in something but usually; they get most of mom's (good and bad) quirks.

I too have seen a bunch of litters myself and can tell you that I'm a firm believer in a strong bitch line full of successful competitors and/or producers. If I'm looking for a litter, I am looking for one that has obvious talent from both sides. Breeding is a crap shoot. The 85% stat is pretty darn absolute. If it were a fact, breeding dogs would be simple.

I've been around, and very familiar with, litters sired by studs that throw themselves on a consistent basis. We bred to Cosmo twice, produced 14 pups total, only one of the 5 female pups looked and/or acted anything like their dam. 6 of the 9 males also looked and acted just like Cosmo. I've also seen litters that produced males that were clones of their sire, and females that were clones of their dam. I presently own 3 bitches, two that look and act exactly like their sires, another that I still haven't figured out who in the heck she looks or acts like.

To the OP, find a breeding that looks great on paper. One that seems to be solid on BOTH sides. Then do your homework by finding references on the breeder, and both dam and sire. Pick a breeder that breeds nice bitches, not those that breed just to breed, or just breed for a quick dollar. Find a breeder with a successful track record that produces healthy pups that suit your needs.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 02-10-2014 at 04:47 PM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!