The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk about Ideological Idiocy

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Turner View Post
    One of those "clowns" used to be a very influential employee of a very successful, privately owned, gas station chain. I'm pretty sure he knows more than you how to run a business.

The fact of the matter is that Tennesseans don't want Chattanooga ending up like Detroit. Unions are responsible for that mess.

Personally, I don't want government involved in anything, so I struggle with this intervention. The only job of government is to protect it's citizens and I believe that is what the governor is trying to do. Still don't know how I feel about it...
    Sorry if this offends you, but I don't think running a chain of gas stations prepares you in any way to run a world class manufacturing company.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverNation View Post
    I had to laugh when I read this. I don't know any union auto workers but I can assure you that the majority of Firemen, Cops and Tradesmen I know do really well running their own side businesses outside of the union. These business' range from handyman work to running large projects or companies with employees. The funniest part is not a single one of their side businesses are union.
    I had to laugh when I read your comment. When I was growing up, my dad was a Detroit Firefighter. Because they worked 24 hour shifts, they had off days when they were able to do side jobs. They were all 1, 2, and 3 man operations, doing stuff like roofing, painting, aluminum siding, wall washing, landscaping, alarm systems and security systems, concrete work, etc. How many of these really small businesses have EVER historically been union?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Sorry if this offends you, but I don't think running a chain of gas stations prepares you in any way to run a world class manufacturing company.
    Doesn't offend me one bit, but I do disagree with you. Pilot Oil is nothing to scoff at and management is basically the same no matter what the business is. Technical stuff is different, but you're still managing people (some more educated than others)
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    The Detroit mess was result of mismanagement at the highest levels for 20+ years, millionaire execs that were to busy improving their golf game than improving their product line. Year and year of putting out product design that no one wanted, and failing to address what the competition was doing.
    mn...I agree with you that management owns part of it, but be honest so does the union workers and union management. It was not a myth to not purchase an American car in the 70's that was manufactured on Fridays...the overall quality of the product, some caused by incompetent work by union workers was no longer competitive. Not to mention the fact GM, Ford, etc. could not compete on profit partially caused by the weight put on profits by union wages and benefits. When big companies fail everyone owns it! I worked with Teamsters in the brewing industry, and these factors shut down a large brewery in Memphis, TN....the Union killed it, as it was not able to stay competitive...not due to wages, but due to benefits and work rules e.g. 'one man one job'...

I still get a kick out of all the comments about Detroit. Detroit is completely surrounded by extremely wealthy suburbs. The population of Detroit metro area is about 3.7 million, or about 16% of the total. Cities like Detroit and Pontiac had serious problems with racial tension, drugs, and violent crime. People who could afford to leave moved either out of state, out to the suburbs, or they retired to Florida or moved "Up North" as they say in Michigan. That mass exodus left places like Detroit, Pontiac, and Flint without a tax base. If you look closely at the cities that have failed in the state, there is one common denominator. They all had problems with serious racial problems. The troubles with the Big Three and their inability to respond to foreign competition compounded the problems, but I don't think their troubles were the true root of the problem. If you haven't spent significant time in the area, there is no way you could have a good understanding of its history.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Turner View Post
    Doesn't offend me one bit, but I do disagree with you. Pilot Oil is nothing to scoff at and management is basically the same no matter what the business is. Technical stuff is different, but you're still managing people (some more educated than others)

When is the last time you saw a top manager from the retail type business step into a high profile position in big time manufacturing? Really I don't pay attention, but I'd be surprised if it was common or if you could point me to a single instance.

When is the last time you saw a top manager from the retail type business step into a high profile position in big time manufacturing? Really I don't pay attention, but I'd be surprised if it was common or if you could point me to a single instance.
    I wonder where Bill Gates got his experience. I do believe he worked for IBM for a short period of time but not in management. Maybe it was in his garage when he started Microsoft. Today is that a service company, manufacturing or maybe retail? Maybe all three or maybe invention and innovation also?

I do believe that people like Jerry Rice would have been successful had he never played football. It is not the type of work that makes them successful, it is what interests them that makes them successful in a particular field. Take the former CEO of GM. His most successful accomplishment was to scam tens of billions of dollars from the tax payers. He came from manufacturing but he wasn't very good at making it profitable, Siemans is a terrific company and has been obviously successful in picking talent. But that doesn't mean their way is the only way. The goal is to beat your competitors, sell your product, make a profit and keep happy employees. That model works for any business.

But being a community organizer prepares you to be President of the United States?

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    But being a community organizer prepares you to be President of the United States?
    RK.....Good One! LOL< LOL< LOL

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I guess if you can get yourself elected. What I think about it doesn't matter.