The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get frozen birds for training?

Default Where can I get frozen birds for training?

I've got a 12 week old chocolate Labrador female. She's a pure joy, hard-charging, fierce/fearless, and eager to please. She's already housebroken, loves retrieving (to hand) canvas dummies, and knows these commands: sit, stay, come, down, kennel, and heel.

I'm ready to introduce her to dead (and then perhaps clipped-wing) birds. I feel I need to introduce her ASAP so she gets the experience between now and 16 weeks of age. I bought 6 wings from GunDogSupply and they're in the mail.

Where can I buy dead frozen birds, shipped to me? I have searched this forum, as well as the rest of the web, with no luck. I'm in Arlington, VA. Thanks!

P.S. If anyone has experience with the Rappahannock River Retriever Club (RRRC), or really any local NAHRA retriever club, I'm strongly considering joining and would love to hear about your experience.

Your best bet is to find a local retriever trainer. Most will have a stash of frozen ducks. An experienced trainer will also help your training progress.
    Mark Land

www.huntmallards.com

good luck!-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Buy live birds. Shoot live birds. Freeze dead birds. Open Freezer. Boom! Frozen birds for training! Sorry I couldn't resist.

People closer to you might be able to help you out with bird farms. Call the fish and game department and ask if there are any close to you. You can always use birds that you shoot during the season. Cheaper too. Ducks last the longest. Breast the birds, and figure out a way to put the skin back together. I've duct taped mine and have used them over and over. You can also remove the entails and put foam insulation in the body cavity.

Pigeons are the cheapest. No season on them either. You can shoot them or trap them. Good luck!
    ~Willie Alderson

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi MH QAA

"Teeter" Alder Creeks Teeter Maha

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH (2005-2014)

[QUOTE=Houston82;1196448]I've got a 12 week old chocolate Labrador female. She's a pure joy, hard-charging, fierce/fearless, and eager to please. She's already housebroken, loves retrieving (to hand) canvas dummies, and knows these commands: sit, stay, come, down, kennel, and heel.

I'm ready to introduce her to dead (and then perhaps clipped-wing) birds. I feel I need to introduce her ASAP so she gets the experience between now and 16 weeks of age. I bought 6 wings from GunDogSupply and they're in the mail.

Where can I buy dead frozen birds, shipped to me? I have searched this forum, as well as the rest of the web, with no luck. I'm in Arlington, VA. Thanks!

P.S. If anyone has experience with the Rappahannock River Retriever Club (RRRC), or really any local NAHRA retriever club, I'm strongly considering joining and would love to hear about your experience.[/QUOTE]

What's there to consider? Join. It's the best thing that can happen for you and pup!

Quote Originally Posted by Houston82 View Post
    I've got a 12 week old chocolate Labrador female. She's a pure joy, hard-charging, fierce/fearless, and eager to please. She's already housebroken, loves retrieving (to hand) canvas dummies, and knows these commands: sit, stay, come, down, kennel, and heel.

P.S. If anyone has experience with the Rappahannock River Retriever Club (RRRC), or really any local NAHRA retriever club, I'm strongly considering joining and would love to hear about your experience.
    Check your PM's. I am a member of Rappahanock Retriever Club. I also have a bit of training equipement (wingers, holding blinds, birds etc.) and am always looking for folks to train with. I am about an hour west of you out in the mountains
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Quote Originally Posted by pwyxit63 View Post
    I do as well. A good source and they can be delivered to your door in a nice cooler quickly.

If you are looking for live birds around your area, try the North American Game Bird Association. I've had some luck finding pheasants and chukar when needed.

Here is the website:
    https://www.mynaga.org/find-member-profiles/
    Richard Gravely

I'm also a member of rappahannock river retriever club. Depending on where you are, I could probably get you some birds. Send me a PM.