The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need help getting my lab puppy to play fetch

Im going to jump in here and throw out my two cents, although I'm just starting the journey of training my own first lab, maybe more senior members can correct me if I'm wrong. My pup is just past 13 weeks, and up until a couple of weeks ago, I was in your camp. I was stressed about making sure I gave the pup a proper foundation, I became even more stressed when I didn't see the results I thought I should be getting. I was trying to do way too much. More than a few people recommended Bill Hillmans puppy DVD and it has really helped the pup and myself. I've seen more drive to retrieve, more adherence to the sit command, and more focus. I've resolved myself to follow this program to start, and believe it will provide that solid foundation for me and the pup when we expand training later.

Anyone know where I can get a used copy of Hillman's puppy DVD? I'm sure $129 is worth it, but I'm not ready to spend that much yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston82 View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a used copy of Hillman's puppy DVD? I'm sure $129 is worth it, but I'm not ready to spend that much yet.
    As you can see by my handle, I am not too far removed from your questions. I agree that $129 sounds expensive, but relative to what you will spend on the dog for its lifetime its a mere pittance.

It's much better to get it as right as you can get it the first time through. From personal experience, I can tell you having to go back and patch holes is no fun.

Good luck with your pup.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Chasing (and occasionally catching) a white pigeon wing strung with 6 feet of line off a fishing rod would be a much more productive game for you right now.

The dog's desire isn't to retrieve but rather to chase and catch things. Bring them back to you just gets them another chance to chase...
    Darrin Greene

Houston82 - if you can wait a few days I'm almost done with my copy of Bill Hillmann's DVD and will sell it to you if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston82 View Post
    I'm sure $129 is worth it, but I'm not ready to spend that much yet.
    I said the same thing, but in the course of a week I spent close to $400 on training DVDs. All of them used but "like new" and discounted. I tried hard to find that "does it all" program, but it doesn't seem like that's possible.

There's little excuse not to know much about a puppy these days. Have fun.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    There's little excuse not to know much about a puppy these days. Have fun.
    So true,
    You can find just about everything you need for free on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncntrykid View Post
    So true,
    You can find just about everything you need for free on the internet.
    Great! Any links/sites in particular pop to mind? Always on the lookout for more info.

I'm a fan of the ideology that the one object you use to retrieve with is only brought out for one purpose, then used sparingly and then put away. Always keep 'em wanting more! It's also worth remembering your pup has literally hundreds of years of genetics that will tell him/her to retrieve. Trust those genes. That's why you spend the money on a quality pup. Let a youngster be a youngster and don't force it.