The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need help getting my lab puppy to play fetch

Pat Nolan - Training Retriever Puppies website

Free, awesome, good videos with explanations, some great ideas for training puppies, did I mention its pretty awesome?

http://www.trainingretrieverpuppies.com/

Seriously he has some good stuff on the website.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Update at 11 wks old: I implemented a lot of the advice I've received, and got a bunch more success. I can't thank you all enough.

What's working:
    - took away all the squeaky toys; now only chew bones, braided rope, kongs, canvas dummies, and rubber bumpers
    - keeping the game of fetch to 5-8 tosses at a time, no more
    - having a "puppy party" after a successful retrieve, rather than trying to get the canvas dummy out of her mouth right away
    - 50% of retrieves are rewarded with a kibble, 50% praise only
    - outdoors with no leash, or indoors
    - weather's warmed up a bit!

What's still an issue: (although I'm just going with the flow and not worrying terribly)
    - outdoor distractions (strange people, noises, etc.)
    - sometimes tries to retrieve "past me" or in a different direction
    - doesn't like the little rubber bumps on the surface of the rubber bumper; her mouth's still a bit small, I think
    - still about 15% failure to retrieve
    - biting! gotta get her to stop biting people's hands & ankles... any advice here?

Question in return: are the failed retrieves at the beginning or the end of the session? (I still think you're doing too many). In response to the puppy biting try squeeling like a puppy would if its litter mates were being too rough. Move your hand away and look like you have been hurt. Doing that you are speaking puppy and they will quickly understand to not be so rough.

Thanks Tony. In reverse - Yep, upon being bitten, we sometimes do the puppy squeal and immediately withdraw attention for ~30 seconds. That's worked alright for us.... but I have to admit, at times I alternatively will get fed up and shout NO and hold the dog's mouth closed and be the dominant animal, instead of doing the squeal/withdraw.

And yes, the failed retrieves are usually at the end of the session, so I may be doing too many. -- But, I still always try to end on a successful retrieve, just like I do on the golf driving range regardless of the # balls I have left in my bucket.

You can also try rolling their top lip in by cupping your hand around their muzzle and use just enough pressure against their own teeth to get a response. ( make them bite their own lip,while they are biting your other hand /fingers ) or with your thumb inside their mouth and index finger under their jaw pinch under their tongue. The amount of pressure I use depends on the pressure they use when biting.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

"And yes, the failed retrieves are usually at the end of the session, so I may be doing too many"

One of keys to early puppy work is to never approach "The Bridge too far".

Edit: As for the puppy biting issues, I've never been all that fond of being "Mr. Nice Guy" and hoping the pup understands what I'm going through when he bites. I'm more in tune with what "Mom" would do. I even had the good fortune of watching "a lesson" with a camera handy. Gunny was the singleton pup and Taffey was patient to a point.

The Lesson (link)
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 02-22-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Houston82 View Post
    Update at 11 wks old:
    What's still an issue: (although I'm just going with the flow and not worrying terribly)
    - outdoor distractions (strange people, noises, etc.)
    - sometimes tries to retrieve "past me" or in a different directio
    - doesn't like the little rubber bumps on the surface of the rubber bumper; her mouth's still a bit sm
    - still about 15% failure to retrieve
    - biting! gotta get her to stop biting people's hands & ankles... any advice here?
    Let this puppy be a puppy. 10x @ 9.5 weeks is to many. 15% failure to retrieve? At this age that's excellent. Every puppy is different - it should all be FUN @ this age. What were you capable of when you were 3-4 years old?
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

When I first saw your post, I just rolled my eyes and made no attempt to post. I said to myself...this person has no idea on what he or she is doing. In retrospect, this is an animal who is looking up to you for fun and later guidance....Read and Read some more to understand dogs and stop that stupid schedule. Your schedule is great for corporate American, but not when dealing with dogs. Just saying....

If bumpers are an issue go to paint rollers. My puppy's always start on them because they always seem to like them best!
    Here is my new puppy. She makes 2-4 retrieves maybe 1-3 times a day depending on what I'm doing.

As far as the biting... I just push mine away and say NO. Then I replace my leg or arm with a toy and get her all riled up and playing with that. The simple "not that but THIS" method lol

Other than that she's kinda sorta learning what sit means, and she cuddles in my arms. That's all she's does other than eating and going outside to potty.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Marissa E.; 02-23-2014 at 06:25 AM.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Still way to many retrieves. Slow down and do only 3 or 4 retrieves every other day. In Hillman's DVD Training a Retriever Puppy he only trains every second or third day. On non training days he takes the pup on fun walks to explore, etc.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"