The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training something new!

At least in my situation the dog would have to jump over me to be in danger and I think with him being in contact with me at all times I know where he is at.Harvested well over 100 geese and ducks this year with zero problems. Mark,practice with him this spring ,my blind is a Rogers XL and while in the blind his head is at my waist,when I come up my left arm actually stops any forward movement. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Here is Trap laying next to me, between the spaced apart blinds, covered in corn.
    I can't see a difference from there to inside.

Mark,the beauty of it is you know excactly what he is up to......as far as shooting bothering his ears wouldn`t be any louder than what we are receiving.Show me an 8 yo without some hearing loss and I`ll bet they never hunted too much. Good luck!!! Jim
    Jim Weitzel

Only takes one time for him to bump your elbow and u could shoot somebody or somebody else's dog.
    Daren Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by Daren Galloway View Post
    Only takes one time for him to bump your elbow and u could shoot somebody or somebody else's dog.
    Folks this isn`t rocket science....dog on left..right handed shooter...gun on right.....dog laying down....blinds parrallel with each other MUZZLES straight ahead .....how in the hell is the dog going to bump the gun and kill someone???????I will say this Mark,always bring your gun out with you as he reenters blind there is a chance he could discharge the gun.....Jim
    Jim Weitzel

Senior Member webfootkennel of IL's Avatar

We run dogs in the Layout blind, but dogs body is behind the seat, his head looks out the left side, right handed gunner and we have to let them out to pick up birds. So dog can look over or around my shoulder.
    Yes we want to keep dogs and other safe. Try it before you hunt and make sure dog understands his position is behind the reclining seat.
    www.webfootkennel.com

Dogtra Field Staff

No matter what you do, if you ask for opinions on the Internet... You are going to get them... The majority will be telling you what an idiot you are. Figure out what works for you and your dog. If the dog is steady and obedient, have fun.
    Bill Davis

Pretty much why I refrain from training topics Bill.....a little common sense will go a long way.Jim
    Jim Weitzel

I know about the behind the seat spot.
    He's kinda big and Im not sure how the fit would be. We'll see.

I don't have to get out the blind!
    I have a dog!!!
    lol.....

Yes safety is a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Up View Post
    Mark,

My experience when field hunting is when the shooters come up and there is so much forward motion it is almost impossible for a dog to be steady and can quickly turn into a jail break everytime you come up to shoot. I woudl recommend a final approach layout blind and place it about 5 yards behind your layout. Work on place or kennel. I hosted Chris Atkinson and his dog Bus this January on a mallard hunti and we had to set up on a sandbar with layouts. I can't tell you how impressed I was with Bus and how that dog didn't move with ducks landing and falling right in front of him. Very impressive and very safe.

My $.02 worth.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I finally got some pics off my phone and my camera and uploaded them to an album on my profile.

Here's Bus in the dog blind:

Here's you and Deacon with the birds we shot that day:

A shot from the water looking back at the layouts:

A candid shot of you surveying the floaters (floaters are not in the picture):

A shot of Bus and me with the strap of mallards:

Thanks for hosting us Richard. It was an incredible hunt!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"