The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choke size for flyers

Default Choke size for flyers

So I got a new gun from Santa. I am not a huge skeet shooter... I am wondering what choke is prefered for shooting flyers. My club shots a lot of pigeons but also ducks and pheasants. Is IC too tight? Is skeet a better choice? I want dead birds, not destroyed birds. Thanks in advance
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

Depends on your shooting ability and the range of the thrower. Too often gunners show up with tight chokes and make parts out of birds. My preference is IC which with steel is probably a mod.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

DONT GUESS AT IT! Get some paper different shells and see what your gun and chokes are doing on paper.......you may be suprised at what you find out!!!!!

I`ve got chokes and shells for every scenario........ Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

A gunner should shoot a skeet choke or open cylinder, You might be able to get away with IC if you let the birds fly out. However most of the time the shots are too short and you end up blasting piece off them even with an IC. Rounds 6, 7 or 8 steel or lead (I'm sure some states might have rules on this, but they are not wild birds), get into 3 or 4 high brass and you get bird pieces again. I've killed most any flyer pigeon, duck chukar pheasant with Dove loads (1oz of 8), they don't get blown up, and you can use them over and over.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-11-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fryer View Post
    So I got a new gun from Santa. I am not a huge skeet shooter... I am wondering what choke is prefered for shooting flyers. My club shots a lot of pigeons but also ducks and pheasants. Is IC too tight? Is skeet a better choice? I want dead birds, not destroyed birds. Thanks in advance

Yep saw one get separated from it's wings

Eric: is the new gun a single BBL or an O/U ? in reality most of the flyers you shoot are going to be well within 25 yds, so the more open choke will give you the ability to dust the pigeon without cutting it in half..If it were me I would carry a Skeet,Imp Cyl, and a Lt.Mod, all of which should cover changing wind conditions and different bird scenarios
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Skeet for me

Skeet or IC in the first tube.....Modified just in case I miss (all too often) with the second barrel

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Skeet for me

I bought an older Citori with fixed chokes at Skeet/Skeet and its a great flyer gun for me.

Skeet and or Cyl. #7 steel 1oz is our standard flyer load. Pigeons I might tighten up a bit.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!