The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choke size for flyers

I use cylinder (.000) and skeet (.005) in my main flyer gun.

Cylinder unless it is windy. In wind, or with cock pheasants, IC.

One of my worst flyer shooting experiences was at a test a few years ago. Relieved the shooter but didn't bring a gun. Borrowed a 870 from the guy coming in. Knew I was in trouble when I saw the pass shooting extended tube choke. Seeing daylight through a duck isn't a good thing. Shooting heads off wasn't much better. Had to go out & retrieve parts at least twice. The other shooter was on a missing streak or I would have stopped shooting. Finally started hitting them with the edge of the pattern but also had at least one flyaway. The moral of this is shoot an open choke. Skeet or cylinder.
    Mark Land

Since everyone is just repeating each other.....
    I am going to ask a question for some tothink about.

Why do most people get in such a hurry to shoot a flyer?

I think it because of the throw!

A weak throw, Like I deliver, encourages the bird to not fly that far, so many willhuryy the shot to hit it in the air and kill it. A very close shot results..

It is really amazing what a good thow does for a flyer bird. That throw makes all the difference in the world IMHO..

If the throw is good, and you have healthy strong birds, the distance from the gun, will be farther, considering an average shooter..
    You get what we all want! A flyer! A bird that flys some distance that the dog watches its path, and then works through the excitement and marks the fall..

Many times, Flyers look the same as a dead bird station,because folks throw weak,, and shoot to fast..

Get a good thrower, and while an open choke is still a good sugestion, I bet you will feel more comfortable with the second barrel being a bit more tight..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Since everyone is just repeating each other.....
    I am going to ask a question for some tothink about.

Why do most people get in such a hurry to shoot a flyer?

I think it because of the throw!

A weak throw, Like I deliver, encourages the bird to not fly that far, so many willhuryy the shot to hit it in the air and kill it. A very close shot results..

It is really amazing what a good thow does for a flyer bird. That throw makes all the difference in the world IMHO..

If the throw is good, and you have healthy strong birds, the distance from the gun, will be farther, considering an average shooter..
    You get what we all want! A flyer! A bird that flys some distance that the dog watches its path, and then works through the excitement and marks the fall..

Many times, Flyers look the same as a dead bird station,because folks throw weak,, and shoot to fast..

Get a good thrower, and while an open choke is still a good sugestion, I bet you will feel more comfortable with the second barrel being a bit more tight..

Gooser

Well said Gooser, unfortunately good throwers are hard to come by as good shooters are.
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fryer View Post
    Well said Gooser, unfortunately good throwers are hard to come by as good shooters are.
    Around here it is mostly the birds. A good thrower can only throw one so far and if it isn't going to fly, it is going to hit the ground. Add judges that like the flyer to be thrown into the wind and your dog better be comfortable hunting close to the gun

I use true cylinder. Unless I have a really good thrower, I would rather shoot them out of a strong winger or tangelo with shock cords, so we get enough distance not to blow the birds up.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Agree with DoubleHaul. Bird quality can really affect flight. And throwing into the wind or near water can make it difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Add judges that like the flyer to be thrown into the wind and your dog better be comfortable hunting close to the gun
    Why is it preferable to throw into the wind?
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River