The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog food and dog food rankings.....

Default Dog food and dog food rankings.....

I was describing my dogs NASTY farts to some friends and they said it's probably because of his food. I'm feeding Pro Plan Savor....he does NOT get table scraps. For treats he gets milkbone dog biscuits...maybe 3 or 4 medium sized per day. Anyway....I chose Pro Plan after searching and reading dog food here on RTF. Sam loves his food and his weight is right where it should be. He has great energy, no skin issues, no stomach issues....just STINKY gas...which doesn't bother me....I told the story because I thought it was funny.

HOWEVER....since my friends said I should be feeding a better food I decided to look it up. Found some websites that rank dog foods and was surprised to see Pro Plan isn't very high on anyone's list. This particular website, http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ , has all of the Purina Pro Plan dry varieties ranked as average or BELOW average.

My question is are these rankings hogwash? Is there some agenda I'm missing or is Pro Plan really that average?

That site should be taken with a boulder of salt. I'd probably equate the flatulence to the doggy biscuits. Milkbones aren't really made of anything of nutritional value.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

The site goes into a good amount of detail on why it ranks what it ranks and discussing ingredients. I wouldn't go just on rankings but you certainly have enough information to make an informed decision by reading it.

Ranking sites are Hogwash!!! There I said it. They look for things, they think are better for dogs don't really have scientific evidence to support it; No grain, No bio-products, No meal, Companies Environmentally friendly, Whole natural ingredients etc. etc. They are feeding pets not a performance dog, so they don't really look for that which most of us would care about, Namely Fat for calories/energy and Protein for muscle regeneration (both of which can be gotten from both animal and plant sources), Omega's and Glucosamine for brain and joints. They have this interesting idea that meal (which is basically whole meat without water) is inferior to whole chicken which is mostly water. Pro-Plan is average because it's a BIG name brand commercial producer; who utilizes meal and doesn't have it's chickens running around out back, eating organic corn; each with it's own collar and name tag. Some people want to know their dog is eating Fred and Wilbert

Still Stinky farts; can be food, but it can also be a bacteria imbalance in the gut; so I'd probably try supplementing with a yogurt, or a forti-Flora formula; for awhile before I'd switch him off something he's doing well on
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-11-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Chris , research Dr. Tims Pursuit. (New sponsor on top of page and he is also a RTF member now) Indy has been on it since summer and I started her litter on it with great results (Boogie is still on Pursuit and will stay on it ,as under his advise it is an all age food). I've seen this sight before and Dr. Tims comes in high, but that was not my decision for switching. I has all but eliminated my 14 year Choco dogs gas, (which would make her wake up and look around ,with a WTH is that smell , look)
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I am new to dog nutrition, but not new to nutrition. I eat a Paleo diet myself (see: Robb Wolf or Mark Sisson), so naturally I went for a Paleo diet for my chocolate labrador puppy. I am feeding her Nature's Variety Instinct, a grain-free food made with ~95% real animal meat. Priced comparably to other foods. Pleasantly suprised to see a number of Paleo/Primal pet foods on the shelf at most major pet stores.

Gas is a result of the high corn content in the food. Some dogs just can't stomach it. I prefer Victor. Gas is half as much as Euk.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

I think that dog food advisor site is a ninformative site.But back to the point.
    I went through the same stinky condition with my new puppy. Changed foods a dozen times nothing helped. Turns out his problem was eating so fast and ingesting way to much air which led to bad gas. I slowed him way way down and the air cleared up!!.
    It worked for us. Pay attention how fast your pup eats.

Thanks for the replies everyone...you've confirmed what I was thinking and been a big help. You know we just want what's best for our four legged family members and it's always good to be more informed. Like someone else mentioned above the website I linked does have some good information in it assuming their testing methods are on the up and up and aren't slanted to make the results favor a certain type of food or ingredient.

Shawn....I'll read up on the Pursuit feed but I imagine I'll stay with PP....he likes it, he's healthy and has no issues except for the occasional stink bomb.

Also going to look into the yogurt idea...

And....don't get me wrong he doesn't have non stop intolerable gas....not by a long shot. He OCCASIONALLY has an evening where he'll darn near stink us out of the living room. He just acts like nothing happened, meanwhile we're gagging and paint is dripping off the walls.....lol....

Archer, the yogurt worked great for my young dog. He goes to work with me in a small office. He could fumigate the entire place with one of his silent but deadly bombs. After a few days of about 2 tablespoons of plain fat free yogurt, he was welcome once again! I'm like you, I don't want to go changing foods if the dogs are healthy, good coats and great appetites.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com