The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog food and dog food rankings.....

While I feed ProPlan Performance and am very happy with it, I can't stand the ProPlan Savor. It has the "shreds", and not only do they give my dogs gas, they also have what I call "Glue Poo"....terrible, sticky loose stools. Blech.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

[QUOTE="OCCASIONALLY has an evening where he'll darn near stink us out of the living room. He just acts like nothing happened, meanwhile we're gagging and paint is dripping off the walls.....lol....[/QUOTE]

Hey, don't just reflexively blame the dog. Where is your wife when this is going on? Women will never accept responsibility in this area.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Gas is a result of some ingredient escaping digestion and reaching the colon where it ferments. Typically this is a carbohydrate and more times than not it is a carb that has not been cooked properly at the level of the extrusion process, i.e., at the dog food making plant. The machine that makes the kibble is run too fast for complete cooking(cook rate) of the carbohydrate and many companies accept a 80% "cook rate" as being acceptable. The stink your dog produces tells me that it is not necessarily acceptable.

Some dogs cannot tolerate certain carbohydrate sources, such as wheat,corn or potato and these are not processed properly in the gastrointestinal tract of said canine and they are the cause of said flatulence. A dietary intolerance diagnosis for this guy despite properly cooking the carbohydrate in the extrusion process.

A dog should not be gassy unless you need a reason to blame it on someone else in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Ranking sites are Hogwash!!! There I said it. They look for things, they think are better for dogs don't really have scientific evidence to support it; No grain, No bio-products, No meal, Companies Environmentally friendly, Whole natural ingredients etc. etc. They are feeding pets not a performance dog, so they don't really look for that which most of us would care about, Namely Fat for calories/energy and Protein for muscle regeneration (both of which can be gotten from both animal and plant sources), Omega's and Glucosamine for brain and joints. They have this interesting idea that meal (which is basically whole meat without water) is inferior to whole chicken which is mostly water. Pro-Plan is average because it's a BIG name brand commercial producer; who utilizes meal and doesn't have it's chickens running around out back, eating organic corn; each with it's own collar and name tag. Some people want to know their dog is eating Fred and Wilbert

Still Stinky farts; can be food, but it can also be a bacteria imbalance in the gut; so I'd probably try supplementing with a yogurt, or a forti-Flora formula; for awhile before I'd switch him off something he's doing well on
    might want to re-read their site. they encourage meal usage as it contains close to 4x as much protein and way less water. they like brands that use meal.

i use victor and am happy with the performance, coat, and nutrition as well as rarely having farts because of it being gluten (corn being a gluten) free.

Quote Originally Posted by TexGold View Post
    Hey, don't just reflexively blame the dog. Where is your wife when this is going on? Women will never accept responsibility in this area.

Sam is usually laying either in my lap or my wifes lap. The incidence of rank odor seems evenly distributed between who's lap he's laying in at the time of the odor. Hmmmmm.....so the bottom line is when he's laying in MY lap when the odor hits it was him but when he's laying in my wife's lap when the odor hits its HER. Yup....I like that explanation just fine!!

Thanks again everyone....I'm going to look at a different food, though it is occasional enough that I don't think it's necessary. I was operating under the assumption (due to it's popularity here) that the Pro Plan foods including the "SAVOR" offering were premium foods but as with everything else in life I've learned that no one size fits all. As I said above...he likes his kibble and he's doing well on it but if I can find one that he does just as well on minuse the occasional stink bomb then I'll be even happier.......

Here's the link to what I buy: http://www.instinctpetfood.com/dogs

We use the dry kibble and mix in some of the canned salmon (for the Omega-3 content) and a few drops of water to make it all moist/soupy.

More info on Paleo/Primal for dogs:
    1. http://robbwolf.com/2013/09/16/paleo-dogs-too
    2. http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/04-27/my-dog-eats-paleo
    3. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...-plan-for-dogs

P.S. When my little 10 week old lab puppy gets a bit bigger, I'll get her some raw meaty bones from here: http://www.primalpetfoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by archer66 View Post
    Also going to look into the yogurt idea....
    A probiotic may be very helpful, but watch the diary based items (yogurt, cottage cheese, etc) as dogs can have an issue in digesting dairy. You may be better to look to a probiotic like fortiflora
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

I have fed Purina Performance(running) and the Savior when they are not(down time) for 30 years. My biggest concern is the lack of consistent feed quality. Before buying check dog food company recalls , manufacture date , and how do you store the food (sealed/heat/etc. )Most animal feed comes from the same suppliers but the manufacturers formulate it their way. Purina has been consistent where ever I travel (I think they have six national plants)and my dogs (Labs/AWS)have lived from 11 to 16 w/no cancer/gas/messy stools - just old age.

We use PPP for our 4 dogs with great results. That website is useful for explaining what is in the food, but has no bearing on the long track record of success of PPP. Also, for what it's worth, there are a lot of great options for raw feeding too. We typically supplement the kibble with venison (we kill ~dozen whitetails a year) and chicken leg quarters when they're clearance priced at 50 cents a pound. There's a lot of good options, but in the end it all comes down to how the dog performs on the food your using. If it's good stick with it, if not, change it up, IMO.