The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog food and dog food rankings.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    While I feed ProPlan Performance and am very happy with it, I can't stand the ProPlan Savor. It has the "shreds", and not only do they give my dogs gas, they also have what I call "Glue Poo"....terrible, sticky loose stools. Blech.
    Agree totally with this. The Shred crap is just high priced Kibbles N' Bits. The bits are soy based and most dogs cannot handle soy. I wouldn't feed it if given to me for free.

Found this great info on what NOT to feed our dogs (and why): http://www.norcalsc.com/paleo-pets
    (by the way, in case you're wondering its credentials, NorCal is the gym founded/owned by Robb Wolf)

List copied here:

Avocados – contain persin, a substance that can be toxic to dogs and cats. Found in skin, leaves, bark, pit and fruit.
    Grapes and Raisins – for an unknown reason, these can cause kidney failure in dogs (even in small amounts).
    Lemons/Limes/Grapefruit/Persimmons - can cause upset stomach
    Garlic and Onions – in every form (cooked, raw, dehydrated, powdered) can destroy a dogs red blood cells, leading to anemia.
    Cooked Bones – especially chicken bones, can splinter and cause lacerations and obstruction to your pets digestive tract
    Raw Meat – this is debatable, but you run the risk of food poisoning/parasites just as humans do with eating raw meat. Plus your animal can absorb more nutrients when eating cooked meat.
    Fruit Pits/Seeds – like cooked bones, can cause lacerations and obstruction of the digestive tract. Peach and Plum pits contain cyanide which is poisonous to both humans and animals, the difference is we know NOT to eat them
    Corn - is the most common allergy seen among pets.
    Macadamia Nuts – even just in small amounts can be seriously dangerous and possibly fatal.
    Chocolate – all kinds of chocolate have theobromine, especially dark chocolate,which can cause numerous health issues and even death
    Xylitol – an artificial sweetener found in gum, toothpaste, candy, etc. can cause liver failure due to increased insulin levels.
    Caffeine – can be fatal to your pet without an antidote. (found in tea, coffee, chocolate, cocoa, soda, energy drinks)
    Alcohol - same effect on animals as it does in people, but takes WAY less to negatively effect you animal than it does you.
    Dairy Products – like humans, it can cause stomach irritation and food allergies
    Sugar - same effect on animals as humans, too much sugar increases the risk of obesity, dental problems, diabetes
    Salt - too much salt/salt foods can result in excessive thirst and urination, possibly leading to sodium ion poisoning
    Grains/Baked Goods – as it does in humans, your pet’s stomach can’t properly digest grains and can lead to obesity, inflammation, allergies
    Common Pantry Items – such as baking soda and powder, nutmeg and other spices can be toxic to dogs. Keep your pantry closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston82 View Post
    Avocados – contain persin, a substance that can be toxic to dogs and cats. Found in skin, leaves, bark, pit and fruit.
    Persin toxicity is not generally thought to be a problem with dogs and cats. Our dogs get avocado whenever we do--2-3 times a week. Only worry I have is the pit as it could cause a blockage.

Garlic and Onions – in every form (cooked, raw, dehydrated, powdered) can destroy a dogs red blood cells, leading to anemia.
    Garlic is highly debatable--as many vets seem to say it is beneficial as say it is a problem.

Dairy Products – like humans, it can cause stomach irritation and food allergies
    ours get yogurt every morning--but if your dogs have problems with dairy, probiotics like fortiflora are probably better. Heck this one is hotly debated in the paleo world.

Grains/Baked Goods – as it does in humans, your pet’s stomach can’t properly digest grains and can lead to obesity, inflammation, allergies
    LOL. Our dog's favorite thing is when we get take out from the local roast chicken place which serves corn bread on the side. It is their favorite, followed by pizza crust and then probably fortune cookies. Certainly not particularly good for them but no harm in small amounts.

Actually the most food allergies are developed do to over exposure to a protein source, in the U.S. it's chicken & beef, which is why when they suspect food allergy they recommend changing to a novel protein source (Duck, Venison, Fish). Some dogs in Australia for example have developed an allergy to Kangaroo, which they use in a lot of their food products . Corn is like #5-6 after most animal proteins, (including dairy). And are pretty rare ~10% of all allergies are related to food, and not an environmental factor. Royal Canin has done numerous studies on it, in independent laboratories. (I don't buy their food but they probably do some of the best science & studies)

For quick reference but everyone is encourage to look at the actual studies (and draw their own conclusions)
    http://www.royalcanin.us/about-us/ab...ased-nutrition
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2082&aid=143
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-14-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Actually the most food allergies are developed do to over exposure to a protein source, in the U.S. it's chicken, which is why when they you suspect food allergy they recommend changing to a novel protein source (Duck, Venison, Fish). Some dog in Australia for example have developed an allergy to Kangaroo, which they use in a lot of there food products .

Not mine ,they love McDonalds!
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

that site should be deleted....anybody who chooese food based off that should be fed cat food.....stupid site that is irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOverby View Post
    Gas is a result of the high corn content in the food. Some dogs just can't stomach it. I prefer Victor. Gas is half as much as Euk.
    nahh,,,my food has none and both dogs have gas....

Dr. Tim is dead on. Undercooking is one of the greatest problems in dry dog food, and unfortunately, with most foods there is no way of knowing what happened to the ingredients between being received from the supplier and reaching the bag. Several years ago we made the switch to Loyall Professional Brand dog food from Nutrena. One of the deciding factors in our switch was the Opti-cook process that Nutrena employs, ensuring that every bag of Loyall is 100% cooked. Not only did this eliminate obnoxious gas in our dogs, but it also gave us incredible consistency from bag to bag.

I tried the Loyall a few years ago, for about three months. The gas was "peel the paint off the walls" bad. It didn't work for my dogs.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Found this great info on what NOT to feed our dogs (and why): http://www.norcalsc.com/paleo-pets
    (by the way, in case you're wondering its credentials, NorCal is the gym founded/owned by Robb Wolf)

List copied here:

Grapes and Raisins – for an unknown reason, these can cause kidney failure in dogs (even in small amounts).
    Lemons/Limes/Grapefruit/Persimmons - can cause upset stomach
    Cooked Bones – especially chicken bones, can splinter and cause lacerations and obstruction to your pets digestive tract
    Raw Meat – this is debatable, but you run the risk of food poisoning/parasites just as humans do with eating raw meat. Plus your animal can absorb more nutrients when eating cooked meat.
    Fruit Pits/Seeds – like cooked bones, can cause lacerations and obstruction of the digestive tract. Peach and Plum pits contain cyanide which is poisonous to both humans and animals, the difference is we know NOT to eat them
    Macadamia Nuts – even just in small amounts can be seriously dangerous and possibly fatal.
    Chocolate – all kinds of chocolate have theobromine, especially dark chocolate,which can cause numerous health issues and even death
    Xylitol – an artificial sweetener found in gum, toothpaste, candy, etc. can cause liver failure due to increased insulin levels.
    Caffeine – can be fatal to your pet without an antidote. (found in tea, coffee, chocolate, cocoa, soda, energy drinks)
    Alcohol - same effect on animals as it does in people, but takes WAY less to negatively effect you animal than it does you.
    Sugar - same effect on animals as humans, too much sugar increases the risk of obesity, dental problems, diabetes
    Salt - too much salt/salt foods can result in excessive thirst and urination, possibly leading to sodium ion poisoning
    Common Pantry Items – such as baking soda and powder, nutmeg and other spices can be toxic to dogs. Keep your pantry closed.
    I have to say that I disagree with the persimmon thing. Had multiple trees bearing a ton of fruit at our last place. They are like crack to a dog and they would run straight to them when let out of the kennels to air. We had a ton of seed laden poop but no stomach/digestive issues.