The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sold out in less than one hour!

I'm curious as to who actually knows first when the entries will open, EE or the Club secretary ? and who finalizes/approves the date AKC?

And why the opening date/time could not be posted when it is first added to EE .If you look at any that are "not finalized" they already have a closing date listed ,why not an opening date? Then at least everyone would know ,and make it a fair race. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    One pro has 20, one has 17 and several others with 10 or less. Not a lot of room for the working stiffs. Maybe someday I will have to worry about this, but for now just reminds me of a recent thread.
    This was my first thought... I remember that thread about this very issue as well!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

The Metro Alliance test was pre announced when it would open..... On their Premium, it said it:

Welcome Statement
    ************THIS EVENT WILL OPEN FOR ENTRY 2-13-2014**************

Welcome to the Metro Alliance 2011 Spring

Thanks to Alice and Scott Carruth and the Corrigan family for the use of these fine grounds.

Please help us maintain these grounds. Pick up your trash, close all gates, and stay on the roads when possible.

Thank you to our judges, gunners, workers, committee members and handlers. Good luck to all! We are a member of the Master National Club!!

*Metro Alliance Retriever Club is a member of the Master National Retriever Club.*
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Dixie's Crimson Tide MH (Yup...a Golden!)

Marks-A-Lot's Irish Boy- AKA"The Pup"

It brings me back to the old days, when I was Barrel Racing in rodeos.. You had to call in to get entered.. Only 10 slots in each event per performance.. So you sat on the phone hitting redial as fast as you heard the busy signal trying to get in...
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Dixie's Crimson Tide MH (Yup...a Golden!)

Marks-A-Lot's Irish Boy- AKA"The Pup"

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Mtn View Post
    The Metro Alliance test was pre announced when it would open..... On their Premium, it said it:

Welcome Statement
    ************THIS EVENT WILL OPEN FOR ENTRY 2-13-2014**************

Welcome to the Metro Alliance 2011 Spring

Thanks to Alice and Scott Carruth and the Corrigan family for the use of these fine grounds.

Please help us maintain these grounds. Pick up your trash, close all gates, and stay on the roads when possible.

Thank you to our judges, gunners, workers, committee members and handlers. Good luck to all! We are a member of the Master National Club!!

*Metro Alliance Retriever Club is a member of the Master National Retriever Club.*
    Was it major deal to do that ? and do the members/ handlers entering think it at least gave everyone a fair chance in comparison to not posting the opening date?
    Shawn White

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Mtn View Post
    It brings me back to the old days, when I was Barrel Racing in rodeos.. You had to call in to get entered.. Only 10 slots in each event per performance.. So you sat on the phone hitting redial as fast as you heard the busy signal trying to get in...
    But at least you knew when it was coming and gave you a chance to prepare.
    Shawn White

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    I'm curious as to who actually knows first when the entries will open, EE or the Club secretary ? and who finalizes/approves the date AKC?

And why the opening date/time could not be posted when it is first added to EE .If you look at any that are "not finalized" they already have a closing date listed ,why not an opening date? Then at least everyone would know ,and make it a fair race. Maybe I'm missing something.
    You're not missing anything Shawn, it's the "informal organization" at work... let's limit entries and then make sure all our friends get notified so they can get in...

I get the limited entry logic, having sat 10 hours in a gun station more than once...

I also get the advance notice to club members and so forth...

That doesn't make it good for the longevity of the game, however.

We need an impartial draw performed by a third party.
    Darrin Greene

The Club secretary knows when they are actually pressing the button to finalize the event.

I have limited experience with the internals of the process, so take this for what its worth. I think there are many reasons why the closing date may not be known when the event is first placed on EE. Just to name a few possibilities:

The club may not have all judges lined up,
    the AKC may not have approved the judges panel,
    the club may still be negotiating for land,
    there may be issues with the water on the property,
    the Event secretary may have unexpected travel,
    The club may be waiting for approvals from some state agency,
    There may be issues with getting help.

The club may want the event visible on EE, but not want to finalize it until all issues are resolved.

On the other hand, the event could be input and finalized all at once
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Yes, this test was pre-announced as to the Date but not the time....which appears to be at 7 a.m. As I heard it filled the 60 dog Saturday test by about 7:40. And the 90 dog Friday test was full shortly after.

Lake Charles is open now.....get your entries in!
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Yes, like BBnumber1 said, the event secretary is the one that controls when the test opens.

Last year, our club limited the number of Master entries to 60. We listed the date and time it would open in the online premium weeks beforehand. It opened in the evening on a weeknight.

I was the event secretary. I hit the button to finalize the test. Then immediately went to enter and was still the third dog entered. Some people must have wicked fast typing skills.
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.