The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyme - alternative to Doxy

Default Lyme - alternative to Doxy

Looking for an alternative to Doxycycline for treatment of Lyme flare ups. Dog has tissue inflamation.

Thank you for any ideas.

Minocycline but it has become difficult to get also, veterinary compounding pharmacies are compounding doxycycline tablets and capsules, talk to your DVM

Thank you Dr. Ed. I have consulted my DVM, and he is all ears. He is not able to get tetracycline, and Doxy is priced too high. For years I gave Doxy as a prophylactic, but I am unable to afford it now for treatment.

I am going to his office after work, and will ask him about your reccomendation. Hopefully we can figure something out. One article I read talked about Amoxicillin. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

There might be an updated version of a book by a DVM/Phd from the University of Minnesota which gives corresponding treatment/dosages etc for human medicine and mammals such as dogs. I have used doxy on myself and carry a valid dosage all the time living in high Lyme areas. Call the Vet School or Pharmacy School @ U of Minn and they might be able to help re: book/author. Naproxen is also used for tissue inflammation for humans but over dosage can cause liver problems. I am not sure about dogs. Good luck.

I'm not a fan of Amoxicillin for Lyme. Your vet should be able to get a hold of compounded Doxy from Wedgewood or Roadrunner, and Minocycline is available too. Just don't be too shocked at the price. And make sure of what you are truly treating--Lyme is tricky sometimes, and other things can cause similar symptoms.

Lisa

Doxycycline is part of the Walgreens prescription savings club. Buy a card and get your dog back on the doxy. The list of drugs that are included in the savings club is posted online.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Thanks Susan. I will call there tomorrow. I was on a similar program at Thrifty White pharmacy, but doxy was removed when it became hard to get.

I just checked the list. Doxycycline monohydrate is still on the list, 50 and 100 mg.

some of the compounding pharmacies are doing it fairly inexpensively. But you really have to call around because their prices are all over the board.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Also check Costco. I recently bought a 30 day supply of doxy monohydrate for about $68. Ask about both types of doxy, they are interchangeable for treatment, and sometimes one will cost 1/10th of what the other does.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Okay. Walgreens does have Doxy, and while it is priced much higher than it once was, it is a little less than the other places I have checked.

Price is about $2 a piece for 100mg tablets.

I cannot remember for sure what I paid in the past, and I suppose it is irrelevant now, but I think it was about 1/10th of the current price.

Thanks to everyone who posted and PM'ed.