The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: westminister

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Pauli is a fabulous example of the breed and I congratulate her owners, breeder and handler
    Lord help you, does that mean there's finally been a successful petitioning to change the official name of the show-breds to the Flabrador Retriever in hopes that those "plentiful" porcine features at last get the proper "appreciation" to go BOS at Westminster?

Gotta be a reason that the most popular dog breed in history has never once ascended to the conformation throne (well, a reason beside fear of fatal cardiovascular handler error).

An old acquaintance of mine who grew up during WWII had an adult weight close to 500 pounds, and would tell people about his "conformation," "My grandma said anything I pushed back on my plate was Nazi food. I tried to starve out the whole German army." If there's any North American dog food shortage in the weeks and months ahead, we sure know where to point the finger - don't like to speak ill of anybody's dog, but that Westminster "specimen" looked like he's been eating for the Clydesdale team in the recent Bud Super Bowl commercial - eating for the Clydesdales since Anheuser Busch first, er, trotted them out.

MG

Quote Originally Posted by kelrobin View Post
    I agree Nicole.
    Really? Thats nice. How about getting out in the real world of the sportsman who expects a sporting breed to be just that. I put the blame on the Labrador Retriever Club of America. They need to step in. Once the judges are told to stop putting up that type of labrador, you will be amazed at how the show people will start loving the new style of Labrador.

If they trained every day, roaded 3 times per week, and ate a right amount, they might look ok. They would end up with a bit of a tuck, though ; ).

The only thing that dog and my BLF have in common is that they are both are black. I personally liked the springer Spaniel in the sporting group.
    Last edited by Hooked on Quack; 02-12-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    It's ok... we think the same thing at hunt tests when we look at the catalog and see "labrador retriever" yet a solid colored whippet walks to the line.

Pauli is a fabulous example of the breed and I congratulate her owners, breeder and handler, all of whom I'm thrilled to call friends.
    Nicole, please elaborate on which sections of the breed standard Pauli fits?
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

I'm curious if the show ring folks do the same health clearances on their dogs? mainly OFA's.

I guess I'll stick to my " solid color Whippets ,so they are able to pick at least 1 duck before they collapse from exhaustion.

My cable was screwed up last night and the only thing I could watch was Olympics , so I missed seeing the dogs.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

she obviously has a "nice personality"!
    and as my young friend jacob might say, "bless her heart!"
    john mccallie

I would have to reconfigure all of our duck blinds at my lease to make the dog openings twice the size if that was the standard that we hunted with. No way she is fitting thru the current openings!
    Last edited by mufb; 02-12-2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling

I noticed how the commentator kept reiterating that "these sporting dogs are bred to work in the field just as much as the show ring". Really? I only remember seeing one JH and one SH, which the dog representing the labrador retrievers had neither. With a flight of labs with 10" legs you're looking at 20-25 minutes a test per dog in Junior, and you better get them some water and serious rest for the afternoon series!

Besides the previous I did enjoy watching dogs and people getting some attention on TV! Can't be mad the dogs and dog people are getting some shine time. To each their own!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Here's a comparison: Breed standard illustration compared to the Westminster Best of Breed.

Attachment 17239Attachment 17240
    Thanks. That says a lot.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."