The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: westminister

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    Attachment 17241

This is the BITCH that won Best of Breed.
    Heck I missed the part that it was a Bitch.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Take all the extra weight off that dog and you would still have a very out of proportion dog, with short legs and a long body. Structurally unsuited for the purpose the breed is meant for.
    Maybe. But we still don't know if he can hunt.

Any hunt test or field trial you go to you will see dozens of dogs that are very out of proportion. Got one myself ... rump 2" higher than her withers, if she wasn't long in the body she wouldn't be able to run a straight line because her back feet would be stepping on her fronts. But she's jammed 6 AA stakes and got a MH in a total of 4 hunt tests, just for fun.

Used to be people with working dogs would say, "doesn't matter what my dog looks like; let me show you what he can DO.". Now, every February we come on RTF and dis a bunch of dogs that are playing a totally different kind of game because of what they look like.

BTW, I also have a bench CH that was one of the better known conformation dogs and sires in his time. He's as good a pheasant hunter as anyone needs and got his MH in 9 tests ... well better than the average. I used to get a lot of rolling eyes on the way to the line with him. It was fun.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by CamoDog View Post
    Are there any Show Judges on this forum that can explain why Show Dogs have to be heavier ? Why is that look more appealing than that of the actual Breed Standard?
    Fat hides flaws(makes me pretty much perfect).
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

You folks better watch it or the PC police are going to nab you for malicious comments about confirmation/show dogs. Every one I judged in AKC hunt tests were physically incapable of "finishing" their dog with a JH . In the 1950s-60s it was fairly common for show bitchs w/some field achievement to be bred to full bore FC/AFC studs. I remember one I believe was Whyden Kennels(?) NY. However I did have the opportunity to help train a Chessie called Caraways Wild Goosechase owned by Roger Reopelle and trained by Del-Tone Kennels Phil Berger. Chase had a Ch and either FC or AFC. In my book I would gladly take him home for life. He was one hell of a good looking talented dog when I met him at 3 months old there on. Too bad folks can't breed that way today.

The sire of my first dog was a Dual Ch... don't see those any more
    Greg Bell

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    While I also think the flat coated people are awesome, I do want to point out that it's *relatively* easy to get a CH on a flat coated retriever compared to a Golden retriever or a Labrador.
    The flat coats only have to beat a handful of dogs, twice (plus beat one other dog several times) to get the CH. The Goldens have to beat, in this area, at least 21 other dogs at least twice, plus 3-4 other dogs several times, to get the CH. It's not easy. The labradors are even worse with the numbers it takes to get a CH.
    The competition for the bench CH in Goldens and Labradors is fierce.
    Barb, your argument would seem to make my case. Yes, it requires more effort to get a championship on a Lab or a Golden. What that means is that there is a lot more time to do other things with your dogs while waiting for the opportunity to succeed in the breed ring.

Curly-Coated Retrievers are a very slow maturing breed. We try to tell our puppy people that this is a good thing and gives them time to work on other pursuits: field, performance, etc. I would say the same is probably true for other retriever breeds.
    Ellen & the Jollycurl Curlies
    working retrievers since 1979
    to be some day owned by:
    Thriller x Bebe puppy
    co-owned by:
    CH Sun Devil Nil Volentigus Arduum MH, WCX (Bebe)
    CH Clarion's Light One Candle (Molly)
    forever in my heart:
    CH Wimberway's Curly Baybelle ROMX (Bay) 1981 - 1996
    CH Soft Maple Crossing Delancy JH (Hannah) 1997 - 2004
    CH Soft Maple O'Dark Thirty CD RN MH WCQ ROM HOF (Jet) 1997 - 2010
    CH Jollybodies Touch 'Em All Time JH (Lola) 2001 - 2013

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    Fat hides flaws(makes me pretty much perfect).
    If that's the case ,I'm dam near perfect
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Along with the fact that the dog had no "wheels" under it seemes like a very short muzzle also....Anyone remember what a good American Cocker looked like before the muzzle was eliminated on them ???? Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    You folks better watch it or the PC police are going to nab you for malicious comments about confirmation/show dogs. Every one I judged in AKC hunt tests were physically incapable of "finishing" their dog with a JH . In the 1950s-60s it was fairly common for show bitchs w/some field achievement to be bred to full bore FC/AFC studs. I remember one I believe was Whyden Kennels(?) NY. However I did have the opportunity to help train a Chessie called Caraways Wild Goosechase owned by Roger Reopelle and trained by Del-Tone Kennels Phil Berger. Chase had a Ch and either FC or AFC. In my book I would gladly take him home for life. He was one hell of a good looking talented dog when I met him at 3 months old there on. Too bad folks can't breed that way today.
    Chase was my all time favorite chessie. I only spent a few days training with Roger and Chase but the dog left a heck of an impression. Left some pretty nice Dual Ch in his pedigree wake as well.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    The sire of my first dog was a Dual Ch... don't see those any more
    you do in chessies.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

[QUOTE;1187952]The sire of my first dog was a Dual Ch... don't see those any more[/QUOTE]

Maybe not in Labs but you do with chessies.

Tom
    Tom Wall