The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: westminister

Why is the dual champion so much more prominent in the Chessie's as a breed???

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    TTF Duck Sloughs Make Mine a Double "Shooter"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

[QUOTE;1187949]Fat hides flaws.[/QUOTE]

Adding weight gives the appearance of having some traits the dog does not have. Such as, a true double coat. Once a knowledgable judge puts their hands on the animal they will be able to tell if there is a double coat or the animal is just fat.

The problem is when all the animals to be judged are of the same type. It is rare to have one animal excused for lack of merit, let alone an entire class or breed. So, the judges put up animals that are fat, short, bald, etc. People see that and then continue to show those types of animals. Winning begets winning. Next thing you know people think that is what the breed should look like.

Conversly, whne dogs are only bred for performance they can also lose breed type. But, winners keep getting bred and soon everyone thinks that is what the breed should look like.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Finch View Post

Richard
    Richard,

The simple answer is because they are not as popular so a greater percentage of breeders are concerned with both field and show. So, you have a higher percentage of animals that compete in both venues. If you do not have enough breeders dedicated to preserving the breed standard you will lose breed-type in both camps.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Finch View Post

Richard

My opinion...hopefully more experienced Chessie people will chime in but...
    I credit the breeders, many of whom post here, that actively seek to produce dual purpose dogs. The American Chesapeake Club should also be given it's due for helping to prevent a split within the breed. The Chessie breeding pool is small enough that if it were divided the way the Lab worlds are separated, the breed would be in real trouble. The smaller numbers also mean that you don't have to go that far back in a pedigree to find successful show, field, or dual purpose dogs.
    Last edited by Scott R.; 02-12-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Seems like the Chessie Breeders have it somewhat figured out.... To bad we couldn't do that on a larger scale with the Labrador....

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    TTF Duck Sloughs Make Mine a Double "Shooter"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

Have been playing this show scene for a couple years now. The first year we got 6 points on my dog with one judge saying It is so nice to get to judge a dog that is ready for the field.
    Last year was a different story. 4 shows and no points. In the last show a pro was running him and she asked the judge afterwords why he wasn't placing. Her comments were He moves beautifully has nice conformation but he needs more weight. So this year have amped him up to 91 # and will see if that helps.
    There are Labs being shown that are capable of the ring and field but those don't stand a chance against those like this one.
    Blue Skies Eye of the Storm MH
    Blue Skies Rags to Richs MH
    Blue Skies Travelin Man MH
    Blue Skies Snowy River Cruse SH
    Blue Skies Rough Rider Kate SH
    and all Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Evans View Post
    Have been playing this show scene for a couple years now. The first year we got 6 points on my dog with one judge saying It is so nice to get to judge a dog that is ready for the field.
    Last year was a different story. 4 shows and no points. In the last show a pro was running him and she asked the judge afterwords why he wasn't placing. Her comments were He moves beautifully has nice conformation but he needs more weight. So this year have amped him up to 91 # and will see if that helps.
    There are Labs being shown that are capable of the ring and field but those don't stand a chance against those like this one.

Cheney ? Been there... home of Dunfur (Dan Hoke) ... sorry to high jack...

Seeing that town fluttered my brain of .. fresh Oysters, Salmon and crabs cooked on a grill ! Oh and that fishing in Crab Creek.... outstanding
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

I've got to wonder how many conformation judges can identify with these references in the Labrador (or most any sporting breed) standard: "work in the field..." and, "..a working gun dog"?

To appreciate these requirements, a judge would be a hunter, or at a minimum, a performance event participant. Do any of these national level judges possess such qualifications? This might explain why their interpretation of the standard differs so much from most of ours. If they do have this experience, well then, shame on them. Let's see them pull that wet porker into a boat or onto a tailgate a few times!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    I've got to wonder how many conformation judges can identify with these references in the Labrador (or most any sporting breed) standard: "work in the field..." and, "..a working gun dog"?

To appreciate these requirements, a judge would be a hunter, or at a minimum, a performance event participant. Do any of these national level judges possess such qualifications? This might explain why their interpretation of the standard differs so much from most of ours. If they do have this experience, well then, shame on them. Let's see them pull that wet porker into a boat or onto a tailgate a few times!
    I believe Pluis Davern judged the Brits yesterday (and that was a nice one that went to group). Pluis has done both field work and obed in addition to show. I wished she'd have judged Labs....
    she seems to know a nice lab when she's judged out here. https://www.akc.org/press_center/art...rticle_id=4537

here is a quote of hers from another interview: http://www.pages01.net/americankenne...pring_helping/
    How has your involvement in performance influenced you as a conformation judge?

Now when I judge, as I watch exhibitors take their dogs around the ring I am constantly reminded of the original function for which these breeds were developed, and the need to maintain their ability to do so.

I therefore have a pet peeve: fat dogs. Judging breeds in the Sporting and Hound groups, I expect at the very least to see athletes in good working condition.
    Last edited by windycanyon; 02-12-2014 at 01:20 PM.

I have to agree that the Lab that was shown was Obese based on the graph above. His undercarriage was flopping around and when he made his turn it continued and rotated outward. Maybe he was hung but to me his belly continued in one direction while his head was turning. I was amazed the other sporting dogs were more in shape than the Lab. Whomever is promoting this body style needs to look back for the proper fitness of a Lab. I do not blame the contestants as they are chasing a prize and the judges are influencing this migration to Flabrador.

Now, I have owned both. The Show and Field. I have moved to field style as I too am chasing a prize. I prefer to watch the athletes in the field than the Show. That being said there are a few Duals that get it done and they may look heavy but not obese.

btw I also was confused when the announcer was explaining the utility of Pointers, flushers and retrievers. He describe each dog as they were separate jobs of each. My retriever flushes and retrieves, not one or the other. And on the dark side of things, my pointing lab points and retrieves:-}
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"The solution is within the problem"