The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: westminister

Here's a thought people. Enter your dog in a conformation show. Ask the other exhibitors to give you an honest evaluation of the structural weaknesses of your "athlete" or the strengths. Then maybe when you see the latest greatest NFC with a HORRIBLE front assembly you wont breed your bitch to him as she is bad in the front and has a "Gay" tail like the grandsire you are line breeding on. Then 7 out of the 10 puppies will be able to work past the age 8.
    Both ends of the Labrador world are out of whack.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

IMG_3804a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Is there a "show lab" that weighs less than 80 pounds?
    Yes. Mine is 65 lbs, her dam was the number one Lab in the Nation in '06 and three of her litter mates are CH's.

She's a retired cadaver dog, one leg left on her SH (it takes me awhile to compete because her real job was a cadaver dog) and her daughter is 60lbs. Her son (sired by a Ch/MH) is also one leg a way from his SH as well, and I hope to compete in MH as time allows because he is my current cadaver dog.

Daughter's sire is a CH/MH, QAA. She will be working towards her HRD certification this year, finishing her JH and starting her SH, as time allows. Her litter mate made the cut in her class at the Potomac show in 2013.

There are still some of us out there that appreciate a good looking dog that can do the work. But I seriously doubt that there will ever be another Dual CH in my lifetime because of how specialized each arena is.

I, for one, are in awe of those that try to compete in both arenas, trying to get Ch, MH and I know there are some that are running in FTs to QAA. It's not only the time, but the incredible amount of cash it takes.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by DRAKEHAVEN View Post
    Here's a thought people. Enter your dog in a conformation show.
    Been there, done that. Back in the early-'80s my wife and I were very active in showing dogs. Here is my Lab "Rima" in 1981, line-bred on Brian (CH. Lockerbie Brian Boru), handled by my wife --

rima_show.jpg

-- "Rima" was by no means spectacular. She was long in the back, etc., but she was typical of the "substance" of the day. You can see similar by looking at Helen Warwick's book, and look at her Sandyland's dogs like Tarquin.

I don't think the issue here is soundness. I can't remember the last time I saw an unsound field-bred or show-bred Lab. The issue her is "type".
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Is there a "show lab" that weighs less than 80 pounds?
    Yes, I just bred to a MH from heavy CH/MH lineage who is only ~75#. The owner so far has not put him in the show ring though his sire (who she also owned) was a CH/MH. I really don't blame her.

Bandit (a CH/MH from the 90's and sire to 2 of my 58-60# girls in working condition) was only 68-72# in good working condition though they'd fatten him up to 80# or so for specialties according to my notes.

But we are talking old lines here, before they got those deep bodies and heavier bone. Bandit died a few years ago at 15.5. I bred to him when he was 12 and 13 yrs old and he was still fertile... says a bit about longevity and health I think.

Here's a thought people. Enter your dog in a conformation show. Ask the other exhibitors to give you an honest evaluation of the structural weaknesses of your "athlete" or the strengths. Then maybe when you see the latest greatest NFC with a HORRIBLE front assembly you wont breed your bitch to him as she is bad in the front and has a "Gay" tail like the grandsire you are line breeding on. Then 7 out of the 10 puppies will be able to work past the age 8.
    Even if folks could get out to a Conformation Certificate (CC), it'd be interesting. Last fall in the LRC newsletter, it was really neat to see some of the FC's that not only showed up to a CC (on site) but passed. I just sent a litter of pups out sired by a QAA from a very nice field pedigree, and have to tell you, it was a very nice litter structurally and VERY birdy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    Been there, done that. Back in the early-'80s my wife and I were very active in showing dogs. Here is my Lab "Rima" in 1981, line-bred on Brian (CH. Lockerbie Brian Boru), handled by my wife --

rima_show.jpg

-- "Rima" was by no means spectacular. She was long in the back, etc., but she was typical of the "substance" of the day. You can see similar by looking at Helen Warwick's book, and look at her Sandyland's dogs like Tarquin.

I don't think the issue here is soundness. I can't remember the last time I saw an unsound field-bred or show-bred Lab. The issue her is "type".
    Kevin, Your NOT included - you know the difference. Right Type.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Pauli is a fabulous example of the breed and I congratulate her owners, breeder and handler
    I don't even own a lab and this offends me
    Last edited by Cass; 02-12-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Drake not sure how much you no about dog antomy because the lattest NFC is a bitch, so no one can breed thier bitch to her.

Congrats Dottie
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBoley View Post
    Drake not sure how much you no about dog antomy because the lattest NFC is a bitch, so no one can breed thier bitch to her.

Congrats Dottie
    Don't worry I know a dick when I see one !

Don't worry I know a dick when I see one !
    LMAO just choked!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!