The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: westminister

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    remember it's all in the bone...

/Paul
    Paul, I got my wife pregnant 6 years after she had her tubes tied. I guess I am a champion! Where can I get a blue ribbon?
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    Paul, I got my wife pregnant 6 years after she had her tubes tied. I guess I am a champion! Where can I get a blue ribbon?

So, is the doc paying child support? (I believe we have travelled a bit far afield now).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Take all the extra weight off that dog and you would still have a very out of proportion dog, with short legs and a long body. Structurally unsuited for the purpose the breed is meant for.
    Sharon, you took the words right out of my mouth!

How many of these bullets could a bench dog check off?

LOOKING FOR THE IDEAL DOG
    • Dog that has a “presence” on line and commands your attention.
    • Balance of natural and trained responses
    • Cool temperament (nice dog during total performance)
    • Full of keenness
    • Good Memory
    • Adaptability
    • Game finding ability/control
    • Desire to “do the right thing”

General Appearance of Dog
    • Muscular, strong, athletic, powerful in water, endurance, stamina,
    • Efficient, active, free movement, stride, reach, long, agile, quick, flexible
    • Intelligence, versatile
    • Good temperament, stable
    • Eager, alert, confident, keen, willing to work, desire
    • Tender hold of game
    • Intelligent
    • Hunting ability, innate ability, cover ground, “birdy”
    • Balance: power/strong but elegant, smooth, coordinated
    • Responsive, trainable, tractable
    • Style, determined, desire to please
    • Courage, perseverance
    • Nose, natural ability/talent
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    It's ok... we think the same thing at hunt tests when we look at the catalog and see "labrador retriever" yet a solid colored whippet walks to the line.

Pauli is a fabulous example of the breed and I congratulate her owners, breeder and handler, all of whom I'm thrilled to call friends.
    Wonder if Nicole thinks Rosie O'Donnell is a fabulous example of a humane female as well?

This is a good read
    http://slimdoggy.com/when-did-overwe...he-new-normal/
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keene View Post
    Sharon, you took the words right out of my mouth!
    Kirk,

Thanks for the heads up on this thread. It took too much of my day to digest it all! I have little to add, except for a cut & paste from the Labrador Retriever standard. I've highlighted a few lines I think are relevant to this discussion, especially Sharon's observation that even without the excess weight the BOB Lab doesn't fit the proportions described in the standard.

Proportion--Short-coupled; length from the point of the shoulder to the point of the rump is equal to or slightly longer than the distance from the withers to the ground. Distance from the elbow to the ground should be equal to one half of the height at the withers. The brisket should extend to the elbows, but not perceptibly deeper. The body must be of sufficient length to permit a straight, free and efficient stride; but the dog should never appear low and long or tall and leggy in outline. Substance--Substance and bone proportionate to the overall dog. Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat.

Maybe we should give show judges a reading comprehension test before allowing them to judge!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Can't help wondering why you didn't highlight these parts of the standard as well??? Seems to me that picking which parts of the standard people want to apply, and ignoring those that they don't, are what gets the breeds in this mess in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    Kirk,

Thanks for the heads up on this thread. It took too much of my day to digest it all! I have little to add, except for a cut & paste from the Labrador Retriever standard. I've highlighted a few lines I think are relevant to this discussion, especially Sharon's observation that even without the excess weight the BOB Lab doesn't fit the proportions described in the standard.

Proportion--Short-coupled; length from the point of the shoulder to the point of the rump is equal to or slightly longer than the distance from the withers to the ground. Distance from the elbow to the ground should be equal to one half of the height at the withers. The brisket should extend to the elbows, but not perceptibly deeper. The body must be of sufficient length to permit a straight, free and efficient stride; but the dog should never appear low and long or tall and leggy in outline. Substance--Substance and bone proportionate to the overall dog. Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat.

Maybe we should give show judges a reading comprehension test before allowing them to judge!

Swack
    Last edited by hotel4dogs; 02-18-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I don't think he was ignoring anything. He highlighted the part that referred to the particular dog being discussed. Feel free to post a picture and highlight any parts you'd like...it's all good discussion.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

And I didn't mean to pick on him personally, I'm sorry if it came across that way. Just making a comment that whenever anyone ignores parts of the standard to suit their purpose, in any breed, it's not a good thing for the breeds. To be honest, I read it fast and missed the part about the BOB dog completely, sorry.
    That said, I do stand by my statement that picking and choosing which part of the standard you want to follow is not good for the breed, regardless of which side of the fence is doing it. The most guilty, in my opinion, tend to be the people who breed for money and not anything else, not to excel in any venue, just to sell a lot of puppies. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    I don't think he was ignoring anything. He highlighted the part that referred to the particular dog being discussed. Feel free to post a picture and highlight any parts you'd like...it's all good discussion.
    Last edited by hotel4dogs; 02-18-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Barb, I agree. I guess the question I have is this: What is the purpose of a dog show?
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith