The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: westminister

What's really ironic is that while the BOB lab has been compared to a pig or a steer, due to the American public's supposed desire for healthier food and a coinciding wish for leaner meat, neither FAT pigs nor FAT cattle do well in the show ring.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

They also wouldn't look so overweight if they had legs of the proper length.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    They also wouldn't look so overweight if they had legs of the proper length.
    That's what happens when the paradigm for "bettering the breed" is not a working Labrador retriever,

but the Vietnamese pot-bellied pig.

MG

I am curious - does the LRC do anything in the way of (conformation) judge education?? If not, has it been discussed? If this was already mentioned my apologies - have not read the entire thread yet.

Re continuing Judges Education by the LRC. Yes, they do. They will be continuing to do more in that regard.

Glenda

Today I was talking to my mom about the show Labrador because she posted a picture of her pig (her pig and the show Labrador look almost like twins) on facebook. My mom told me her pig is not fat because her stomach does not touch the ground. After viewing your posted piture I'm starting to think my mom's pig must be too tall and lanky.

Sorry to go off topic.
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    That's what happens when the paradigm for "bettering the breed" is not a working Labrador retriever,

but the Vietnamese pot-bellied pig.

MG

I am NOT in any way advocating this or saying it is called for in this instance, because I just don't know enough. I don't know even how I feel about the idea.

However, I find myself wondering...

Is there any sort of sanction for a judge who awards a first place that is outside of the standards? Or is the judge the judge, and must be allowed to judge?
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    I am NOT in any way advocating this or saying it is called for in this instance, because I just don't know enough. I don't know even how I feel about the idea.

However, I find myself wondering...

Is there any sort of sanction for a judge who awards a first place that is outside of the standards? Or is the judge the judge, and must be allowed to judge?
    Greta,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm guessing that the judges decision is final. There may be some method of protest through AKC, but I'm not familiar with dog show protocol.

Short of a Lynch Mob, I think the best thing to do would be to contact the LRC and voice your opinion. I think Glenda posted a link in this thread and assured us they would be read.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

They are being read. The majority of the comments on this Forum have been passed on.

Anyone seeing my dogs will know my beliefs re both Labs and Goldens being in hard working condition.

Glenda

I'd like to make a comment, but first thank the RTF forum for many, many years of helpful insight. Knowing I am just a hunter and not in the game of being a professional FT. I've never felt the need to join this forum. But Westminster and the reactions got me motivated.

There are many fine, well balanced, Show type Labradors that were either not chosen or did not participate in this years Westminster Dog Show. My thoughts are the judge had an agenda. She either likes "Typy" Labradors and chioose the most fitting to her eye(which may mean she needs her eyes examined) or she did not want a Labrador to have any chance winning the Best in Sporting Dog group.

The opposite happened at Crufts this past year. A Panel of judges chose Loch More Romeo, a three year old Italian bred Labrador with a Sire from the States. Romeo went on to come up just short of winning Crufts, Europe's most prestigious show. Crufts uses a judge to look at the "Bitches", and another to evaluate the dogs. This year the two judges could not agree who should win best in breed and a higher ranked judge chose Romeo. Romeo is a well balanced Labrador with much muscle and plenty of air under him. Best of all he is a Showman. The bright lights and crowds bring out his best.

Not all Show breeders are equal. There are plenty that put Balance and temperament first as well as knowing what the breed standard calls for. A certain group of breeders from Michigan have "Over done" Labradors and have gained influence over what the judges put up for winners. The "Typy" Labrador is something of an abomination today because the lady from Michigan who started it all passed away a few years back. Annie Cogo knew what balance meant and her Windfall Kennel produced beautiful "Typy" Labradors. One Black Piper perhaps the most perfect girl ever produced. Once Annie Cogo died Show Labradors have continued to get more "typy" at the expense of Balance. Annie had a following and without her to critique pups big and typy just got bigger.

Maybe one day judges at Westminster will put up a Labrador that would have a chance to win. Not having five posts I can't post URLS , but just google Romeo Reserve winner at Crufts and watch the You Tube videos of a special Labrador. He may be Italian, but his roots are in America.