RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

westminister

65K views 259 replies 107 participants last post by  Breck 
#1 ·
What was that black thing that stood by the sign that said Labrador Retriever. I thought it would need doggie cpr after its waddle around the ring.

#4 ·
It's ok... we think the same thing at hunt tests when we look at the catalog and see "labrador retriever" yet a solid colored whippet walks to the line.

Pauli is a fabulous example of the breed and I congratulate her owners, breeder and handler, all of whom I'm thrilled to call friends.

#8 ·
Thanks for leaving your chair at agility, I used it.
The Labrador looked cumbersome, non athletic in a sporting group. I would love to see the Labrador do well in the show ring. The standard says clearly that well muscled and not fat is what is expected. The show group would do well to start looking at the "whippets" at the field events and see what the Labrador is supposed to be. Someone, Albert E. I think said "doing the same thing and expecting different results is insane". Anyway, if you want to look at real labs, you know where to find me.

#5 ·
Guess they forgot the part of the standard that reads able to hunt all day in the Field that dog was obese! It was a poor representation of the breed. Nicole do you own a lab that can retrieve?

#22 ·
Really? Thats nice. How about getting out in the real world of the sportsman who expects a sporting breed to be just that. I put the blame on the Labrador Retriever Club of America. They need to step in. Once the judges are told to stop putting up that type of labrador, you will be amazed at how the show people will start loving the new style of Labrador.

#9 ·
I think the judge that put that dog up didnt understand this portion of the standard.

Above all, a Labrador Retriever must be well balanced, enabling it to move in the show ring or work in the field with little or no effort. The typical Labrador possesses style and quality without over refinement, and substance without lumber or cloddiness. The Labrador is bred primarily as a working gun dog; structure and soundness are of great importance.

The bench folks are so concerned about hieght they use a wicket, maybe they should buy a scale,

#12 ·
OK- Let's stop dissing the fat boys. I will say that porker's BMI is off the chart.

Pretty sure that I can outrun that beer keg with legs and as a general rule the only thing I can outrun depends on chlorophyll for sustenance.

Gimme my whippets regards

Bubba

#31 ·
Lovely dog, I hope they invite that judge to judge our National one of these years. Clearly understood the concept of "moderate, well balanced". The dog was not overdone in any way. Gorgeous dog.

#17 ·
For once big game houndsmen/women actually get something right bless their ******* a$$ ........ papers, looks, some book that describes what a dog should look like and act like don't catch bears and lions. Dogs that function do.

And that dog on TV is butcher ready. Dog Shows have ruined more working breeds than any backyard breeder ever has..... sorry pet peeve ... pun intended ��

/rant
<flame retardant suit on>

#35 ·
For once big game houndsmen/women actually get something right bless their ******* a$$ ........ papers, looks, some book that describes what a dog should look like and act like don't catch bears and lions. Dogs that function do.
You are correct. "Form follows function." When the function of the animal is to win beauty contests the form will be 180-degrees different from the form of the animal whose function is to work.

#19 ·
Well ... she does have a pretty face. Clearly weight is not an issue in this beauty contest :)

#26 ·
I'm curious if the show ring folks do the same health clearances on their dogs? mainly OFA's.

I guess I'll stick to my " solid color Whippets ,so they are able to pick at least 1 duck before they collapse from exhaustion.

My cable was screwed up last night and the only thing I could watch was Olympics , so I missed seeing the dogs.:(

#33 ·
Typically yes, and then some, at least in Goldens. We do hips, elbows, eyes, heart, thyroid, PRA-1, prcd-PRA, and Ichthyosis.

I'm curious if the show ring folks do the same health clearances on their dogs? mainly OFA's.

#29 ·
I noticed how the commentator kept reiterating that "these sporting dogs are bred to work in the field just as much as the show ring". Really? I only remember seeing one JH and one SH, which the dog representing the labrador retrievers had neither. With a flight of labs with 10" legs you're looking at 20-25 minutes a test per dog in Junior, and you better get them some water and serious rest for the afternoon series! ;)

Besides the previous I did enjoy watching dogs and people getting some attention on TV! Can't be mad the dogs and dog people are getting some shine time. To each their own!

#34 ·
I like Glenda Brown's sentiment on working Goldens. She suggests that conformation judges get out in the field and get to know what a working dog really does and which physical traits are useful.

I have hunted my Goldens in the uplands for several hours at a time, walking miles, if I walk three the dog quarters nine. I have hunted my Goldens in a tidal creek with a strong current on a stormy day. This is much different from what many have learned to expect. A day's hunt does not consist of back to back land singles followed by back to back water singles.

#47 ·
I like Glenda Brown's sentiment on working Goldens. She suggests that conformation judges get out in the field and get to know what a working dog really does and which physical traits are useful
How can everyone expect the judges to start awarding wins to better field type dogs if no one will enter them? Everyone has a cow every time a keg on legs is in the show ring but yet if people don't start showing other types how can you honestly expect things to change? Granted, it will take awhile for it to happen but people have to start showing the other types to the judges for them to have a choice if you want things to change!

#39 ·
Nicole, why don't you just answer the question in regards to the breed standard and not some show judges ignoring it and putting up dogs that don't meet it? Lab show judges should take note of how Brittany's are judged and Chesapeakes too.

#41 ·
How do you find a vet who will ignore that kind of obesity too? The first thing the vet does at our dog's appts is check the weight and examine the dog. He even has charts of pics of what an obese dog looks like at different angles. Then he discusses that with you. We used to have a middle aged redbone coohound who started to pack on a few extra lbs, and the vet caught it before we even noticed and had us on the lookout for causes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.