The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help! Dog whining at line in anticipation of blinds/marks

PS we have been frozen in below 32 deg for weeks in PA with a foot of snow topped with ice. Another foot coming tomorrow.
    Perfect time to get videos to Randy as he probably has more free time right now to help you.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Threads like this pop up a lot I see, What are or what not are people doing to create these problems? aside from the dog itself
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Granted i am only a meat hunter so I dont know if this will apply to you. My pro advises me not to sent the dog if it is whining. We will sit there and wait until she is calm. After a while she seems to get that being quiet gets her the retrieve. Just my 2 cents. Can't help you with the bark.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Be careful what you ask for; you may just get it!!
    Oh... MJH.. If you only knew how well I understand your statement LOL its an omen !!!!!! Thus my signature.. though, now that I think about it..... I do have rather a lot of experience with BARKING dogs.. Hmmmm.....

It would be interesting to see what helps with BlackdogTroy's pup.. One would think it's not that dissimilar to a pointer that lays down on a "hard flush" (anticipating the flush) .. also not easy to fix.. Removing the anticipation is tricky... I would agree that forcing the dog to stop would most likely be counter productive...

As Delmar Smith would say in training horses or dogs.. "You try something, if it doesn't work you try something else. "

The good thing about Labs.. is.. they are intelligent enough to understand what is being asked/shown... believe me with some hounds.. the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top..
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

My dog's mom is probably the most mellow/sweetest dog you will ever encounter but his dad is what you guys seem to call a "high roller". Just like his dad my dog is pretty full tilt on both marks and blinds. His dad does pant very heavily coming to the line but does not give any voice. In the duck blind my dog will sit there all day and not move until I send him.

My trainers advice, if I can put it in words were "it's a tough thing to break and needs to be broken down so that my dog understands that he will not get to do what he wants until he is quiet. A combination of that and exposing him to lots of flyers so it "desensitizes" him." He seems to think that my dog is unconsciously whining and not knowing that he is actually doing it.

So far we have not attempted so much because it was not an every time problem. We have used a healing stick on his bottom lip combined with "quiet" while "sweating" him at the line until he calms down. This seemed to be the most effective process so far. He becomes less concerned about the mark and more concerned about his actions and not wanting an uncomfortable tap.

But we switched from that to running him with a bark collar which does not seem to be effective. When he makes a loud enough noise to nick him he doesn't put 2 and 2 together and understand why he gets nicked.

Like I said, I am an amateur. But I don't know that I agree with my trainers philosophy on fixing this as well as the cost it would entail of putting him back on the truck.

I had an extremely physical high-roller natural marking non-collar lab dog in the 80-90s. I plotted his bio-rhythm and discovered if he was trained/trialed less than 60% of the 30 days he got sloppy. If he was worked more than 75% of the 30 days he was over-confident! So I maintained him on his sweet spot. Additionally , on marks AND blinds I NEVER put my hand down but just talked him into his tasks. When I said "good" his whole body would quiver and he would freeze until sent. People thought I was nuts not to use a collar but most never understood until later on that a very smart dog like people/kids have individual quirks. That is why generic programs often don't work. I plotted this dog for four continuous daily years based on the 61-74% activity. It made me a better handler/trainer. People who see my name know/remember my dog "Chip." I have never seen a golden bark in trials but have seen tons of labs and chessies.

I sent a direct message to Randy, hoping to have some video this week for help.

i'm no help.... But i will say this .... I hope my pup has that problem....������
    no you don't

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    no you don't

It's a euphemism.
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

Hmm thing I've noticed with a lot of dogs, is they are so excited that they don't actually know they are making noise. Once you start addressing it, every time, and not give them what they want until they are clam and quite. I grab the muzzle, give a good shake (QUITE). They usually pick up on I have to be quite to get the bird. We have these type of vocal dogs sit out on lead watching mark after mark fall, and getting corrected for every sound, usually about half way through the training session they relax and you can let them have a bird, then come back lay down and again enforce quite. Still for some dog noise is an ingrained characteristic, and you'll never solve it, but you can maintain it. I've never found the collar to be a great tool for quite, seems that if you physically snap the brain out of it, it works better.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-13-2014 at 01:36 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)