The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: What would you have done??

Default What would you have done??

Looking for some input from seasoned trainers on something that happened last weekend

The scenario is as follows:
    - 3 yo soft F chessie, running at master level, have followed Lardy
    - setup 6 blinds across end of a field approx. 150 yds with various dips and trees at end of field with about 12inches of snow, -9C, and hardly any wind, picking the blinds up from right to left
    - dog goes well on first 3 blinds
    - blind #4 dog is heading on line for the blind and at about 125+ yds stops and stares to her left and then seems spooked and takes off again but veering to her right. Worked her hard to get this blind with a lot of attrition and indirect pressure once (toot nick toot) as she seemed shaken and did not want to go to where the blind was placed. Finally got it and she came straight back to the line.
    - sent for blind # 5 and 6 and did well on them but still seemed a bit hesitant on #5 no problem on #6. Remember #5 & 6 were the areas closest to where she had seemed to sense something that had bothered her.

Was it right to persist in getting these blinds after she was so spooked? Even the person that I was training with noticed the exact moment that she got spooked and of course neither of us saw or heard anything.

Interesting question. I think I would consider it a successful training session, since you were able to get her to complete the retrieve on which she was spooked, and without traumatizing her as evidenced by her completion of the two remaining blinds. You got her focus back on her job, again, by getting her to pick up the other two. IMO this is developing the right habit, getting her to contain her fears and get her mind back on her job.

I suggest considering the possibility of failure, in an effort to prevent it.. Another time she might be more severely spooked. I would think through ways you could try to ensure successful completion of the task at hand, along the lines of being ready to make some instant adjustments to make a test simpler. Keep in mind that on a land blind, you can usually improve a dog's success by walking out in the field closer to her.

My premise here is that once she spooks, the most important point of the lesson changes from whatever it was initially to "getting her to work through the fear and get her focus back on her job."

If you can identify what spooked her and work on desensitizing her to it, so much the better.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post

My premise here is that once she spooks, the most important point of the lesson changes from whatever it was initially to "getting her to work through the fear and get her focus back on her job."

Amy Dahl
    This is one of those "special times" where I would repeat that blind that day. The fact that she was able to work through it is good now lets get through that spot with confidence.

JMO

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!