The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the written breed standards this different?

Default Are the written breed standards this different?

If you look at the breed standards for each of the 3 breeds pictured below, are they written as differently as these BOB winners would indicate? I've posted a couple of pic of each dog to give more views.

"The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

I also thought this was very interesting.
    http://www.offa.org/healthch/healthch_chessie2.html
    " Hudson is currently the #1 Chesapeake Bay Retriever and a Top Twenty Sporting Dog with 11 Group Firsts so far this year. When not busy winning at the shows, Hudson regularly works guiding hunts at the Clover Hollow Hunting Preserve."

"The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

My guess it that the Chessie is not as popular ,so in-turn you dont have as many people having different views on what is "Ideal" and since it is easier to have a out of shape dog ,the standard has morphed into this.

The Chessie and the Golden look strong, able and well proportioned ,in comparison to the lab ,which looks ,like a miniature Angus.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

I think the most important factor in the Chesapeake breed's not being split is that it's not a very popular breed. Last time I showed, I think you could get a major by defeating five or six dogs (two majors being necessary to get the Champion title). That means the shows aren't very competitive. You can frequently win with the dog you have, if you are persistent enough, and there isn't the motivation to select for extreme features.

I'm not sure how many Labs you have to defeat to get a major. Maybe 30, or 50?

Amy Dahl

But are the standards written this far apart? I know and understand that they are different but they are all three retrievers. Do the written standards have as large a discrepancy as the pictures would indicate?

Thanks Amy, I just posted a similar comment in the Westminster thread regarding Flat Coated Retrievers. The breed only requires about 7 dogs for a major win, whereas the Goldens require 21 (in this area), and the Labs closer to 30.
    The competition for the bench CH in labs and Goldens is fierce.

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    I think the most important factor in the Chesapeake breed's not being split is that it's not a very popular breed. Last time I showed, I think you could get a major by defeating five or six dogs (two majors being necessary to get the Champion title). That means the shows aren't very competitive. You can frequently win with the dog you have, if you are persistent enough, and there isn't the motivation to select for extreme features.

I'm not sure how many Labs you have to defeat to get a major. Maybe 30, or 50?

Amy Dahl

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Yes. The original purpose of each breed is very different from the other breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    But are the standards written this far apart? I know and understand that they are different but they are all three retrievers. Do the written standards have as large a discrepancy as the pictures would indicate?

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Wait what? I hope you expound on that some. From the first paragraph of each breed standard.

The Labrador Retriever is a strongly built, medium-sized, short-coupled, dog possessing a sound, athletic, well-balanced conformation that enables it to function as a retrieving gun dog; the substance and soundness to hunt waterfowl or upland game for long hours under difficult conditions;
    Primarily a hunting dog, he should be shown in hard working condition.
    equally proficient on land and in the water, the Chesapeake Bay Retriever was developed along the Chesapeake Bay to hunt waterfowl under the most adverse weather and water conditions,

Russ, all the standards are similar, with the variation being the type, or look, that defines the breed and makes it unique.

It's the judging that's wrong....the standard is ignored to the point of non-recognition. People will breed and show what will win, and it's a rare judge who will put up a moderate, correct to the standard Labrador.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    My guess it that the Chessie is not as popular ,so in-turn you dont have as many people having different views on what is "Ideal" and since it is easier to have a out of shape dog ,the standard has morphed into this.

The Chessie and the Golden look strong, able and well proportioned ,in comparison to the lab ,which looks ,like a miniature Angus.
    A cattle judge would send that one packing; as I said on the other thread, too much finish.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com