RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  J.Nichols 
#1 ·
Westminister got me thinking... The Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever seems like an interesting breed. Are these ever seen in hunt test and field trial game? Also does anyone own one?

They are supposed to be "tollers" living decoys, luring ducks in. Does anyone hunt this way anymore? It is hard for me to believe that a fox-like creature could actually peak the interest of waterfowl and lure them in.

Are these ever seen in hunt test and field trial game? Also does anyone own one?

#3 ·
I have a buddy that I hunt with that has a toller. He is still a younger dog...I believe he has a JH title. He is a good retriever, but I have never seen him hunted as a "toller". I really like the dog and I think they are an interesting breed. They are much smaller than most other retrievers such as labs and chessies.

#4 · (Edited)
We got a bunch of them out here, they are little fluffy (sometimes Blonde) Clowns. They can do the work, and they like doing the work, but they are clowns. You just never know when something different will just come into their head. The tolling is pretty hilarious, I've set up tests with marks by-passing points, most dogs will swim right pass them. The tollers; will go out of their way to toll the point every-time, before they get the bird and on the way back. Oftentimes they're pretty particular on how they carry a bird, they like to roll it around to get the perfect hold. I've seen some really nice Tollers (MH and all that jazz) but they don't train like a Lab and require an owner who has a since of humor.

#7 ·
I hear a lot of this - " wow, that is sure a little golden retriever". My girl is 31 pounds of zoom zoom. She darts everywhere she goes and loves to be the center of attention. As stated, she is excitable but loves to play the hunt test games. She is particular how she picks up the birds and relies on her nose a lot. As far as a house pet, companion, etc...you won't find better.
The negative - In the hunting field she isn't quite as excited. She doesn't handle the big water fast flowing rivers that I hunt very well especially with a big duck and a goose gets drug over to the bank by a wing a considerable ways down stream. Then it is a struggle for her to carry it back up through all the brush. This all might be why she looses some excitement but I notice it on the small pond hunts as well. Although she doesn't have near the problems.
She is an awesome little girl but for the record, my new lab puppy is coming home in 3 weeks.

#8 ·
I think they are a very interesting breed. I heard they get confused for goldens often. Also I know they are smallest of retrievers, 31 pounds is so small! My golden was 26 lbs at 16 weeks. Congrats on the lab!

The other retrievers (non-lab or golden) that are not as well-known or popular intrigue me. I feel like I would hate getting the lab or other confusion with a Flat Coat, Curly coat, Chesapeake, toller etc.

#9 ·
Danjor,
Here's a good thread from 2010 for you to read.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?49925-Duck-Toller&highlight=toller

Tollers are unique in some ways, but they can be great hunting partners with the proper training, just like other retrievers. What they lack in size, they more than make up for in energy. They can have the intensity of Border Collies, which is a good thing when they're focused on something good. It can be annoying when they're still focused on the squeeky toy you've taken from them and put on a high shelf last week. They're very smart, and most of mine have had well developed senses of humor. When super excited, they can let loose with a very high pitched "scream".

Back before Tollers were a recognized AKC breed, few strangers knew what my dogs were. Now, most "dog people" know. And if asked what breed of dog I have, I no longer get the, "It's a what????" that I would have heard with my first almost 18 years ago. Most people asking have now heard of Tollers.

There's a lot of good information on the breed to be found on NSDTRC (USA)'s website at http://nsdtrc-usa.org/ .

#10 ·
I Train with 5 or 6 of them, I like them a lot, nice disposition and courage.

#12 ·
Danjor92. While Tollers can be trained to do most anything the other retrievers can do, they are very much a niche dog. They do have some quirks ... or as we say, training challenges. However, life with a Toller will never be boring.

If you get into this to the point of researching further, I invite you to www.toller-l.org/tollerdata. This is a pedigree/health database I run of about 35,000 Tollers worldwide.

#13 ·
While Tollers can be trained to do most anything the other retrievers can do, they are very much a niche dog. They do have some quirks ... or as we say, training challenges.
Good candor, Eric. Biggest challenge these days is to a prospective owner's pocketbook - a toller pup's price roughly the GNP of some Third World countries. However...if you've got to ask how much, they're too expensive for you (and me) anyhow, right? Unless you capture a goose

that lays some golden eggs and just might happen,

what with this tolling bidness.

Also gotta say, been smiling for two weeks at the canine anthropology of Susan Young's Christmas card cartoon balloon. Tennis balls uber alle for tollers!

MG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.