The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barking

Default Barking

I have a six month old, well bred BML. So far, the dog has lived up to expectations except for one thing ..... at times, when placed in his crate, he will bark .... I don't mean "I want out - bark bark". I mean he will literally bark for 45 minutes straight (or longer). While I like his persistence in the field, its not so attractive in this instance.

I don't want to use a bark collar on him. Any suggestions?

Why don't you want to use a bark collar?

If you don't want to start with a bark collar, get a spray bottle of water or water mixed with a little vinegar. Every time he barks spray him right in the face. If he has been doing this for a while without any correction, you may have to go to a bark collar. All dogs are different.

Meredith

What does the vinegar do besides make the dog and crate stink?

What about a good quality water pistol/gun?

Unpleasant so they figure out the behavior isn't rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    If you don't want to start with a bark collar, get a spray bottle of water or water mixed with a little vinegar. Every time he barks spray him right in the face. If he has been doing this for a while without any correction, you may have to go to a bark collar. All dogs are different.

Meredith
    (Honest question)
    IF you sprayed them in the face with vinegar/water, what would that do to their eyes?

Make sure he is tired before you put him in the crate. A walk or some retrieving or even some obedience in the house/basement/garage.
    deb

I tried the vinegar and water mix with no results in stopping the barking. If you don't want to use a bark collar then train through the problem. Be consistent and don't give in to the barking, reward and praise when the dog is quiet. Take baby steps put in crate for a few minutes and take him out while he's quiet. Gradually increase the time he's in there and only bring him out when he's quiet. Lots of repetitions and praise worked for me.

Vinegar and water takes their breath away. They hate it. And sometimes you have to increase your concentration of vinegar to water. If it hits the eye it stings. Double correction. One person has suggested that it may burn the eye, but I personally haven't had that happen yet. I think the tears protect the eyeball.

I have found the "Super Soaker" is a great delivery mechanism. You don't have to be close, and, the stream of vinegar and water is strong.

Andy Attar is not an advocate of bark collars. Yours is a little young to have been collar conditioned, but Andy puts a regular collar on them and corrects them. If he has 2 barkers, he puts different sounding bells on them, and he is learned their bark so he doesn't correct the wrong dog.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 02-12-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by pcarpenter View Post
    I have a six month old, well bred BML. So far, the dog has lived up to expectations except for one thing ..... at times, when placed in his crate, he will bark .... I don't mean "I want out - bark bark". I mean he will literally bark for 45 minutes straight (or longer). While I like his persistence in the field, its not so attractive in this instance.

I don't want to use a bark collar on him. Any suggestions?
    Sounds likes you have a high roller? You need to instilled your dominance on this pup and start now. Let the pup know and show it. Hopefully you don't have an alpha.