RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Flyer station question

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Kenneth Niles Bora 
#1 ·
Since I train alone 90% of the time I have to come up with ways to simulate things that normally can only be done with bird boys. My question is when setting up a simulated flyer station in the past I've used multiple stick men and chairs, bird crate and throw a shackled bird. The only issue is I've got just the one primer that goes off as the bird is released. I've jerry rigged another shot and I'm in the process of making another primer shooter. Should I make this one shoot multiple primers with slight delay between or does it matter? I'm just sitting around watching it snow so had to come up with another project to get me out of the house.

#2 ·
Sounds like your doing about as much as you can without any help.

Try as you might a flyer station is one of those things that is nearly impossible to simulate, and I don't believe the number of shots has anything to do with it's lack of realism, it only takes a couple times and the dogs know exactly where the flyer station is, even a simulated flyer station with a dead bird only fools them a couple times, somehow they just know.

#5 ·
Sometimes I put a bumper boy without the dummies at the faux station for extra pops. I also put white marking tape on the legs of the dead duck. It shows up as a flutter.
But as someone previously you can only fool them a few times after they have seen the real thing.

#6 ·
Wayne,
I've done the bumper boy thing just hate having another remote to deal with that's why I made the primer shooter add on that way the red button on my TT remote throws the bird and then I hit the green when bird is in flight and get a second pop. I'm throwing live birds on this station already so I don't need the streamers.

#8 ·
Yes, I can do that with zee now. I use my zinger uplander and throw pigeons. I'm just thinking about how I can best prepare her for akc events since I've been solely an hrc tester. Got my sights on derby and Q.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.