The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CH-Shamrock Acres Light Brigade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kona's mom View Post
    In 1994, the Labrador Retriever Club wrote a new amendment to their breed standard changing the required height of the Lab. It was approved and adopted by the American Kennel Club. A class action lawsuit was filed by six breeders contending that changing the height requirement of the breed standard that had been in effect since 1957 would disqualify many Labradors from the dog show ring. The original height at the withers was 22 - 22 inches for males and 21 - 21 inches for bitches. The 1994 amendment changed the ideal height at the withers to 22 - 24 inches for males and 21 - 23 inches for bitches. Six years after the lawsuit was filed, the court decision came down on the side of the Labrador Retriever Club and the AKC.
    The statement above is misleading. The standard for the Lab approved April 9, 1957 stated: "Approximate weights of Dogs and Bitches in Working Condition-Dogs -60 to 75 pounds; bitches- 55 to 70 pounds. Height at Shoulders - Dogs- 22 1/2 inches to 24 1/2 inches; bitches-21 /1/2 inches to 23 1/2 inches."

What changed in 1994 was that the height standard was made a disqualification. I believe the height standard referenced by Nicole is that used in Britain. While it might, at some time in the distant past, have been used by the LRC, Inc and the AKC, the height standard has NOT changed in the USA since at least April 1957.
    Bruce Bachert Bakbay Labradors
    beb@bakbay.com www.bakbay.com
    Creedmoor, TX (near Austin)

Does anyone know the specs on Briggs??

I know that name from my childhood. I think he was the sire or a grandsire of my childhood lab.

That would be logical as Butter came from Whygin. How times change as my parents were searching for a while for a nice female yellow lab back then, and eventually found her as a 5? month old advertised in the local paper bought staight from Helen. Butter had a small black spot on her rump, the hairs were actually striped so that is why she was not sold earlier. My mom had a fit when Dad came back with her and that flaw. She was going to send her straight back but she lost to Dad and 2 kids.
    Oh, and get this I still remember that she was sent home with some food in a huge bag. Your basic Purina Dog chow. That is what Helen fed back then. Oh the stories of this just transatlantic transplanted family showing up as what was thought to be a few local dog shows with the family dog and a little picnic for a family day out with the dog and it is Whygin in 1971!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

both of them goo-goo's look fat to me!
    john mccallie

Personally I liked Shamrock Acres Sonic Boom better.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Quote Originally Posted by David Maddox View Post
    Does anyone remember this Labrador Show Champion? 12 time Best in Show.

Back in 1990, when I first got involved in Labs, I owned a grandson of Briggs. I became very intrigued by the success of this dog, so I started doing some research on him. I had some very serious show people tell me that Briggs was the "greatest show champion Lab of all time". Could someone please post a pic of Briggs along side a pic of this years Westminster best of breed Lab bitch? I'm having issues getting the pics to load. Thanks
    David, Have a LIVING Granddaughter of Briggs that turned 12 on 1-23-2014 She was a GREAT marking dog, not a good counter. She is best friend to my 5 year nephew.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAKEHAVEN View Post
    Personally I liked Shamrock Acres Sonic Boom better.
    Drakehaven I totally agree with You about Sonic Boom. A little more fit dog with super movement
    not quite the showman Briggs was. I finished two bench champions out of Sonic Boom.

Thanks, but I think I will stick with the tall, ripped, lean 72lb / 23.25" at shoulder lightening fast female model over the short wide potentially speed challenged model.

Last edited by jpws; 02-14-2014 at 10:34 AM.

I think in the last 10-20 years we have almost created 2 different breeds, and I'm a little saddened on both ends. Briggs was such a good looking dog, I don't know why we can't try to bring the show labs back to a functional conformation. I also can't understand why the AKC doesn't make it mandatory that every dog being shown for conformation should have a basic title from their group to show they are functional intelligent trainable dogs as well. Even the toy group should be able to get a basic obedience title. That's always bothered me that the sporting group dogs rarely have titles, and I think that is how the breed is slowly getting swayed away from what a Labrador truly should be.

/steps off soapbox

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    Drakehaven I totally agree with You about Sonic Boom. A little more fit dog with super movement
    not quite the showman Briggs was. I finished two bench champions out of Sonic Boom.
    Would love to see some pix of your dogs.