The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: What's in your box? (Homemade electronics)

Default What's in your box? (Homemade electronics)

A fellow RTFer was asking me for dimensions on the winger that I built using KwikLabs design. That request provoked this thread. I know there are multiple threads on how to build electronics for homemade wingers. I thought it might be a good idea to try and consolidate everybody's creation into one thread. Therefore, for those of you that have designed your own electronics for homemade wingers, please post a picture with a description of how it work if you have time to help those out that are as ambitious (or as bored) as we are. It would have been helpful for me to have a thread like this when I started out a few years back. Winter is a great time for projects, so here goes!

Electronics.jpg

The system I am using include 6, one channel recievers and a 6 channel transmitter (remote control) with buttons numbered 1 through 6. Each winger has a power door lock for a launch function and a siren. Therefore, button #1 triggers the launch function on winger #1, button number 2 triggers siren on winger #1, button number 3 trigger launch function on winger #2, button number 4 triggers siren on winger #2, etc.

The on/off switch at the bottom is the power switch for the entire system. Only one is being used because it was an improvement on an older design that I initially started with.

So, the 9V battery is turned on and powers the receivers. Receiver #1 powers the electronic car door actuator, which is connected to a Patriot Jr bow release via leader line. When button #1 from the transmitter (remote control) is pressed with the system on, a signal is sent to Receiver #1. Receiver #1 can receive this signal because the on switch is on and is powered by the 9V battery. Receiver #1 collects this signal and triggers the pull function on the electronic car door actuator via the 12 V battery on top of the picture. The 12 V battery is held in place with automotive grade Velcro. The same process happens for the siren and the 12V battery is used for the siren as well.

There are many different ways to do this. If possible, I would recommend using a 12V receiver/transmitter system. Ideally, if sirens are desired in your system (assuming you desire a set of 3 wingers), you would elect to purchase a 6 channel transmitter (remote control) and three 2-channel receivers. I purchased six, 1-channel receivers because I was unaware that 2-channel receivers were "out there". By purchasing 2-channel receivers, you would be able to conserve space in your box and cut down on all the intimidating wiring. I also did not get the antennae extensions for "long distance". When my 12V battery is charged and I have fresh 9V batteries in my boxes, I can run these guys at about 115 yards. I have heard that with the antennaes, you can reach further distance (maybe somebody who did this could share a picture and tell us all about it.

Hopefully this will help somebody. If it helps one person, my goal has been accomplished! Please post your homemade winger boxes! There are so many ways to go about doing this it would be nice to get ideas for next time I decide to do this. Thanks for taking the time to read!
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Thanks for the post Jeremy. I too am in the process of building my own electronics. Most of the parts have ordered and I will be building them over the next month or so.

One question I do have for you -- in the picture you included, it looks like your project box is mounted to your winger. Is it permanently mounted? If so, how? If it's not permanently mounted -- do you just "attach" the box to the winger in the field? If so, how -- and how do you handle the connection between the door lock actuator and the archery release?

Matt,

My boxes are not mounted permanently to the winger. There is a stainless bolt going through the winger from inside of the box to the outside. A nylon lock-nut is tightened down to keep the bolt tight inside the box. The excess portion of the bolt is then passed through pre-drilled holes in the winger. A wing-nut is then used to tighten the bolt to the winger PVC pipe (see pictures). The nylon lock-nut also functions as a spacer between the box and PVC pipe. I added 5 more pictures with description on them. Hopefully this helps. Let me know if anything is not clear!

1 wingerbox overview.jpg2 wingerbox front.jpg3 wingerbox mechanism zoom.jpg4 wingerbox side view.jpg5 wingerbox rear view.jpg

Sorry if the font is too small on the viewer. Hopefully there is a way for yall to magnify it on your computer. If not, feel free to suggest a better way or PM me your email address.
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

I ordered the long range (ones with antennas) after y'all helped walk me through what all I need. Once they get in I will test distances and get exacts with the range finder to see how it all shows. I can't wait to get it all in and quit running two wingers by pulling ropes while running a dog. Talk about a complete circus..... But have it down to a science where it doesn't even affect our marking work.

ill try and get pics later. my boxes (4) have one 2 channel receiver with an 8 button transmitter in hand. odd numbered buttons work sirens on each even numbers launch on each. a small 12 volt (i think 3ah?) battery. a long range piezo siren. a 3 pole flip switch to turn power on (mounted on outside) lots and lots of wire. 2 4" bolts with heads glued to back inside going out. corresponding holes that line up through winger leg where u detach it from winger with wing nut/washer. male and female 9 volt quick disconnect outside of the box to remove box from car door lock actuator. slit cut in top of the box to run antenna wire through. a magnet glued on top for the long range magnetic antenna to sit on

my long range antennas and transmitter have been tested to 400 yards (walked off). little .209 primer has quite a delay in sound that far out!

Thanks Jeremy!

Love the DIY work. Noted for future projects!

Awesome thread. Can anyone provide plans for wingers or direct me some threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Clebba View Post
    Awesome thread. Can anyone provide plans for wingers or direct me some threads?
    Search "Homemade Wingers" and you'll get most of them.

Has anyone used these home brew electronics to drive a Zinger or GU winger? Or are you only using them with homemade wingers and higher voltage actuators?

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"