The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procedure for EIC tests and other stuff.

Default Procedure for EIC tests and other stuff.

Can I just go to my vet, and ask him to take sample of an EIC test, send the swabs in to University to determine carrier or clear, or is it better to Contact University, get sample equiptment, and send it in directly to them myself?

Also, Flinch is just over 2. I would like to get Hip evaluations. Are there specific vets that do this, or can just your regular vet take Xrays and give you OFA hip evaluations.

Thanks in advance.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

You need to get the form off of the U of Mn page for submitting the test. It gives you specific instructions on how to collect and send in for evaluation. They do not send a kit--you just need to use a sterile 6-inch swab. If you want verification of your dog's identification you need to have your veterinarian scan the dog's chip or see the dog's tattoo to place on the form.

For OFA x-rays, you need to have a veterinarian who is well-experienced in the procedure to make sure you get the best x-rays possible. Might be your veterinarian, might not. You need to ask people in your area who they use. If you are doing hips, may as well do elbows too.

Meredith

Ditto what Meredith said about finding a vet that does a lot of hip xrays for OFA and remember: it's entirely possible for a lousy xray to make good hips look bad, but the converse is not true. Best is to find out who the go-to vet is that your local retriever people use for OFA xrays and it's least expensive to get hips/elbows done at the same time. Since Flinch is a female, you also need to take timing into consideration. From when they come in season to when they'd whelp (whether or not bred) the female's hip joints get lax in preparation for whelping. So the best time is 4 to 5 mos. after she's been in season. I had one done while in season because we wanted to breed her on that cycle and she got a prelim good (she was 23 mos.). Gave her time after whelping for the hips to tighten back up and she got an excellent.

EIC is a little bit of a PITA in that you don't need a vet to get the swab sample, but you do have to have one verify permanent ID (chip or tattoo). If she doesn't have a chip you could always get your vet to put one in and verify at that time, rather than making a special appt. just to verify it. And OFA requires chips, too.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

My vet was not UTD on EIC ,so I spoke to him about it ,then sent him an email with the test sights page attached . I then ordered the kit (delivered to me) ,took the kit and printed instructions into the vets office and had him preform the swab, they packaged it and I dropped it off at the post office. I found it easier than I expected.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Also consider that the test can be done via blood sample as well. If you take your dog in for OFA and the vet uses anesthesia, they will likely want to do blood work prior to administering the anesthesia. They'll also be verifying the dogs identity for the OFA application so you can knock it out all at once.

Costs more...LOTS more to ship blood on ice, overnight than it does to send off the swabs.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    You need to get the form off of the U of Mn page for submitting the test. It gives you specific instructions on how to collect and send in for evaluation. They do not send a kit--you just need to use a sterile 6-inch swab. If you want verification of your dog's identification you need to have your veterinarian scan the dog's chip or see the dog's tattoo to place on the form.

For OFA x-rays, you need to have a veterinarian who is well-experienced in the procedure to make sure you get the best x-rays possible. Might be your veterinarian, might not. You need to ask people in your area who they use. If you are doing hips, may as well do elbows too.

Meredith
    Ditto this procedure. My vet just filled in his portion of the form and did the swabs. And I filled in my section. I sent the swabs off priority from USA side and asked them to Email me the report which I printed off. Less than two weeks. I also phoned to make sure I had everything right just wanted to make sure. One paper for finances is for your Visa card to be filled out separate and one form for the test. Both copies can go into the same envelope but you need to have the payment form labelled Finance area and the other with the swabs labelled lab. The swabs and the form for the lab have to be kept separate and the swabs dry. It was cheaper than a blood sample. $73.03 CDN
    Last edited by Mary Lynn Metras; 02-13-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOverby View Post
    Costs more...LOTS more to ship blood on ice, overnight than it does to send off the swabs.
    Just an FYI. Refrigeration is not necessary nor is overnight delivery per Univ of MN. They only request that you protect against leaks and plan the shipment to arrive on a week day. USPS Priority Mail is adequate since animal blood for routine testing isn't considered Hazmat. Nothing to it.

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/guidelines/ca...lood/home.html

From USPS...
    “Exempt human or animal specimen” means a human or animal sample (including, but not limited to, secreta, excreta, blood and its components, tissue and tissue fluids, and body parts) transported for routine testing not related to the diagnosis of an infectious disease."
    Domestic Mail: Mailable with First-Class Mail, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, or Package Services.
    The outer shipping container must be marked on the address side with the words “Exempt human specimen” or “Exempt animal specimen,” as appropriate.

Yet another ditto on the experienced vet for x-rays. If they don't know how to do them, incorrect positioning can fail you. Gooser, I'm sure there are plenty on here that will tell you what vets near you do a good job!
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

If you want a more accurate diagnosis on hips find someone that will do a PennHip Test. Much more accurate but will cost you more.