The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Procedure for EIC tests and other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. View Post
    If you take your dog in for OFA and the vet uses anesthesia, they will likely want to do blood work prior to administering the anesthesia.
    Personally I do not like to put my dog under anesthesia anymore than I have to. I would see if there is a go-to in your area who does not put the dogs under to take hip and elbow x-rays.

Our vet has been doing OFA x-rays up here for over 20 years and does not put the dogs under. The only question is whether her reading matches what OFA says on the results when we get them back and she has been 100% correct in calling the hips on every dog she has done for us!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Quote Originally Posted by The Snows View Post
    Personally I do not like to put my dog under anesthesia anymore than I have to. I would see if there is a go-to in your area who does not put the dogs under to take hip and elbow x-rays.

Our vet has been doing OFA x-rays up here for over 20 years and does not put the dogs under. The only question is whether her reading matches what OFA says on the results when we get them back and she has been 100% correct in calling the hips on every dog she has done for us!
    I really wasn't looking to go down that path with my response. It's a whole different topic that probably deserves its own thread. There are pluses and minuses to both methods and we each make our own evaluations. For everyone that swears up and down about the assumed risks associated with anesthesia there is another that says it's the only way to do them. Neither is necessarily right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. View Post
    I really wasn't looking to go down that path with my response. It's a whole different topic that probably deserves its own thread. There are pluses and minuses to both methods and we each make our own evaluations. For everyone that swears up and down about the assumed risks associated with anesthesia there is another that says it's the only way to do them. Neither is necessarily right or wrong.
    That may be true, but if there is a skilled vet in Moosegooser's area that is bang on with OFA on results, without anesthetic why go for a bigger (potentially riskier) procedure than necessary?
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Order your swabs here to be safe. With these you can do it yourself and mail it, or carry this cheap kit in to the vet and have them to it - to get the "vet" certified rating. this is the link from the eic site.
    http://www.ezswabs.com/cotton-swab.html

Quote Originally Posted by jpws View Post
    Order your swabs here to be safe. With these you can do it yourself and mail it, or carry this cheap kit in to the vet and have them to it - to get the "vet" certified rating. this is the link from the eic site.
    http://www.ezswabs.com/cotton-swab.html
    I use the swabs available from the local CVS Pharmacy for years since the test became available and mail in to University of Minnesota's Diagnostic Lab.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Mike: I have vet who does good job on X rays. He will do without sedation if possible, but use sedation if necessary. Call me.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    I use the swabs available from the local CVS Pharmacy for years since the test became available and mail in to University of Minnesota's Diagnostic Lab.
    I used the ones the vet had. They were sterile and dry and kept so until sealed in the envelope! Univ of Min said it was okay. Alot easy that going and getting some unless you are doing it yourself. Your dog should not eat 1/2 hour before the swab test.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray