The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popper guns

Default Popper guns

I am looking to purchase some new popper guns for my local retriever club. What does everyone find to be the most reliable and durable? These will be used for training and Hunt tests.

HRC or AKC hunt tests?
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

How does your club handle the purchase of new guns? Where we are clubs can't purchase guns. They have to be purchased by an individual. With all the new gun laws no one in either of my clubs wants to put club guns in their name as they will be liable if something should happen. Even tho the clubs have liability insurance, members are worried about being sued separately from the club and losing their homes or life savings.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I keep hearing about a modified .22 rifle with a sound enhancer machined to the gun barrel. Anyone have a more detailed description of these?

I'd buy one of the Thunder 100 shotgun simulator deals. Safer, cheaper and you don't have to reload it.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlife View Post
    I am looking to purchase some new popper guns for my local retriever club. What does everyone find to be the most reliable and durable? These will be used for training and Hunt tests.
    We purchased several Rossi 12 ga single shot, comp stock a few years ago. Private purchase. Donated to the club by the individual.

Decent gun. You must locktite the screws ( blue or white) so they don't vibate loose and these have a safety that is a pain, but over all for just over a hundred bucks, they work fine.

Next option is finding old NEF's but good luck with that.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    I'd buy one of the Thunder 100 shotgun simulator deals. Safer, cheaper and you don't have to reload it.
    In the long run they are cheaper....About a penny a shot compared to cost of poppers.....Every bit, if not louder than poppers too. And as Charles said safer...
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    I've been around 1 for 3 years and seen it go through hell strapped to a 4 wheeler. But they do take a little getting used to on the timing of the shot.

It will blow a hole in a holding blind if discharged to close to it
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by mostlygold View Post
    How does your club handle the purchase of new guns? Where we are clubs can't purchase guns. They have to be purchased by an individual. With all the new gun laws no one in either of my clubs wants to put club guns in their name as they will be liable if something should happen. Even tho the clubs have liability insurance, members are worried about being sued separately from the club and losing their homes or life savings.

Dawn
    A trust can purchase firearms which is an entity and not an individual. I do it quite often with class 3 firearms controlled under the NFA. Any lawyer here can probably opine on it further.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Thanks for the input. We run AKC tests. Have not purchased any new guns for sometime, that is a lot of the reason we need to. I will check with legal to see what we need to do to purchase in compliance with gun laws.