The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?? for Dogtra Collar Users

Default ?? for Dogtra Collar Users

Let me start by saying I have one dog that'll mainly be hunting beaver bonds and swamps with the occasional lake.

With tch that being said, I've narrowed my collar search down to the 1900 or 2300. The 2300 is supposedly good for an extra 1/4 mile and is only $30 more. Which do you recommend and why?

I can't help you because I have neither of those models (I have a 300M Element) but good choice going with Dogtra! I love mine!

Haven't looked at the 300m...I'll have to check it out too. The main reason I chose Dogtra was bc that's what my trainer uses. I felt, as a newbie, it would help me know which settings to use. I could be wrong in my assumption in regards to the settings...guess I should discuss that with the trainer.

The four major upgrade differences you get for your additional $30 when choosing the 2300 over the 1900 are:

An additional 1/4 mile of range (3/4 mile with the 2300 vs 1/2 mile with the 1900).

Significantly shorter charging (two hours on the 2300 vs. ten hours for the 1900). Accomplished via lithium polymer batteries in the 2300. The 1900 utilizes nickle metal hydride batteries which require a slower charging rate.

Magnetic contact power "switch" on the 2300 receiver. Power on the 2300 collar receiver is turned on/off by holding the transmitter and reciever together.

"Charge complete visual indicator" on the 2300. Whats that? When a charging cycle is started on the 2300, the indicator lights.... lite up red and change to green when charging is complete. On the 1900, the indicator lights remain red throughout the charging cycle.

My suggestion = If you can afford the extra $30, get the 2300. Otherwise, the 1900 is a quality unit that will
    provide you with years of great hunting at those beaver ponds.

Feel free to contact me with further questions regarding Dogtra products.
    Tim McGarry Jr
    AKC Retriever Hunt Test Judge # 95104

The quicker charge would be nice. I use a 1900 for several dogs and have had NO issues with it. (5-6) days a week use. I generally train a week then put it on charge on friday night or so. I get good timely corrections when i hit the button and have never had distance be a factor. They are probably both fine products.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

I use Dogtra 3500. I would get the 2300 for the extra mile! IMO Great collar. Love mine!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I have the 300 Element...to increase your range swap out the antenna provided with the longer version...instant range improvement.
    Canuck

I have the Dogtra 1900 and have used it for over a year now. It never fails, but does have a slow response in very cold weather. I live in minnesota so you'll start seeing the digital indicator catch up to the dial in 0 degrees and below weather. No issues with it not working in -25 degrees weather at all. It's a great collar for the price and you can't lose picking either one. I would say go with the model that best fits your hunting style. Close range = 1900 or Further range = 2300.

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineT View Post
    The quicker charge would be nice. I use a 1900 for several dogs and have had NO issues with it. (5-6) days a week use. I generally train a week then put it on charge on friday night or so. I get good timely corrections when i hit the button and have never had distance be a factor. They are probably both fine products.
    I only use mine on 1 dog and I charge it about once every 2 weeks.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

im trying to figure out what one to get as well. ive narrowed it down to either the 2300 or 3500. what is the benefits of going with the 3500 over the 2300? is it just the distance?