The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being helpful is not always helpful

Default Being helpful is not always helpful

This morning I was walking to get my car from the shop. I saw a chassis mount pulled over on the side of the road with out of state plates. It was my day off today and I had things to do but nothing that was urgent, so I thought I would offer to throw birds. It is something I have always done when I have the time, offering to be a free birdboy for the day or weekend or help out in a test or trial in my area. I quit training a few years ago, don't even have a dog now, but I remember how hard it is to find good bird boys and places to train,, so I always offer, especially to out of area folks who may not have places to train readily available. And truth be known, I really enjoy throwing birds and helping people out. Sitting out in the field, watching the handler get dog after dog off the truck. I could do it all day, never run a dog and be content.

I walked up to the truck and waved, as it was starting to pull away. Oh well, I thought. They must not have seen me. Then I saw the truck pull over, just a few yards ahead. Oh they did see me, I thought and walked back up to the truck. The woman inside was screaming at me before she even got the window down. I was so shocked I could not even understand the actual words that were spewing forth from her mouth. I saw her eyes blazing anger and heard " What! What!? youre going to make all my dogs bark" , but the rest of the words were just a blur. I apologized and said something about just wanted to see if she needed someone to throw birds for her, and I got the heck away.

Lesson learned. Next time I see a dog truck I will not offer to throw or make available a training place, or even stop to chat.

Don't let one bad apple ruin the whole bunch. Unfortunately, giving or offering can backfire, but my theory is if I can help 10 people and 1 doesn't appreciate it, its still way worth it.

No Good Deed Will Go Unpunished.

Sounds like the driver was wound a little tight this morning.

I'll take a free bird boy any day! I have to pay my nephew (8th grade) to help throw birds. But it's worth it. He get's some spending cash and we get to spend some quality time outside.
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

Yeah, feel free to stop by and help me! I can always use a extra bird boy and if my dogs bark, well I'll take care of that!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Same here; could use help always but I away far away. She must be having a bad day! Ignore it!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Come to Michigan. I'd love to train with someone.

I've yet to meet a reasonable dog person who wasn't incredibly friendly and would generally talk your ear off about... usually about dogs.

PMS or menopause .
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

You can come throw birds for me whenever!!!!!! Bring a coat tho it's cold up here right now!!!
    Mike Keller
    Fowl Dawgs
    https://www.facebook.com/FowlDawgs