The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: marking question

Default marking question

I have a 8 month old golden I just finished FF up with. I have noticed if she does not step on the mark she will put on a very short hunt on and will give up on hunting up. When that happens my gunner will help her out. My question is how do you get a dog to put on a longer hunt for the mark?

Dirt clot drill. Is she checking all three prime areas? Are you balancing (angle backs, flats, angle ins) throws in training?

Are you using bumpers or birds? I'd use birds as often as I could. You can also "salt" the area of the fall with more birds. Increase difficulty (cover) gradually.
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

Quote Originally Posted by WBF View Post
    Dirt clot drill. Is she checking all three prime areas? Are you balancing (angle backs, flats, angle ins) throws in training?
    Dirt clod drill is a good choice if she handles. At 8 months that's a question. I think I would lean more toward salting the fall area for a while in light to moderate cover using only real birds, and at moderate distances. Build a habit of success and positive expectations. I love dirt clod drills, but only with handling dogs.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Does a dog need to handle during dirt clots if an experienced bird boy is throwing the clot? I've been relying on the bird boy to recall the dog back in the area. How does salting the area teach dogs to dig their birds out and not give up? I salt to give young dogs the most chance for success when they need it or on bigger marks or even marks using launchers when I wont have help in the field. But I never thought to salt to teach longer dig it out hunts.
    Last edited by WBF; 02-14-2014 at 12:58 PM.

For the most part I am using birds. Today was a last minute decision so she got marked with bumpers. Thanks for the advice all. I guess the take away message is to build her confidence and she will eventually get that attitude
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WBF View Post
    Does a dog need to handle during dirt clots if an experienced bird boy is throwing the clot? I've been relying on the bird boy to recall the dog back in the area. How does salting the area teach dogs to dig their birds out and not give up? I salt to give young dogs the most chance for success when they need it or on bigger marks or even marks using launchers when I wont have help in the field. But I never thought to salt to teach longer dig it out hunts.
    In my experience ,You want to be able to handle them back to the AOF with the D.C.D.
    With young dogs ,to much help from the BB can make them dependent on him when they dont have quick success. I've seen them just stop and look at the BB waiting on him to solve the problem. Long term issues can also be that the dog doesnt even worry about marking the fall , and just runs at the gun station and will breakdown from there. Salting the area will help keep them in tight because their nose tells them "it's here close ,I just gota keep looking right here"
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I think a dirt clod drill with a dog that's giving up on a hunt could be disastrous (especially one that young). Until the dog is handling, I'd get success however I could and have the gun entice the dog to continue its hunt. I'd also throw things the dog really likes like flyers or wing clipped pigeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    I think a dirt clod drill with a dog that's giving up on a hunt could be disastrous (especially one that young). Until the dog is handling, I'd get success however I could and have the gun entice the dog to continue its hunt. I'd also throw things the dog really likes like flyers or wing clipped pigeons.
    Ditto.... On bare fields.
    Bill Davis

If you are up north by me you could do what I have been doing with your pup. Big Black Bumper with a goose wing duct taped to it, thrown out at different distances, start easy, on a frozen tundra field of all white with no cover or distractions. Just build confidence that there is actually something out there every time they go. Don't try to go to fast.
    Mike Keller
    Fowl Dawgs
    https://www.facebook.com/FowlDawgs