The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tri Tronics G2 Battery Issues

Default Tri Tronics G2 Battery Issues

i am the owner of Tri Tronics Pro 100 G2 that up until recently functioned very well for my needs. Noting that I needed new batteries for both the receiver (collar unit) and transmitter, I started making calls and have not been able to locate batteries for the transmitter for the G2 100 with information received that the battery is discontinued.

I posed the question to TT why the battery has been discontinued and was told they could no longer get the parts to make that battery. Essentially, I was told my transmitter is now considered obsolete and with no further offer of customer support. I asked if TT was offering a buy back or exchange in support of their former G2 customers and was told by their "customer service representative" that no such program was offered.

TT use to be a very good company to do business with and had in my past experiences, very good customer service and support. WHAT HAPPENED? ? ?

Does anyone know where I can get some G2 batteries for a PRO 100 transmitter? I hate to give in to what seems to be a case of planned obsolesence. I would love to know how many G2 customers have been strong armed into buying new G3 transmitters so they can continue using perfectly good collars?

PM me please if you know of any batter sources for the G2 Pro 100 transmitter. Thank you for any assistance rendered.

Irishwhistler

Have you tried the Collar Clinic?

http://www.collarclinic.com/category/batteries.html

Shows G2 batteries on the attached page.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Collar clinic should have them.

The G3 has been out for over five years, though. I don't really think you can blame TT for not making the batteries for a product that evolved a long time ago.

I did call the Collar Clinic this morning and they told me they have no G2 batteries for the PRO 100 in stock and the battery has now been discontinued. They offered to buy my old transmitter, "upgrade" me from my perfectly good G2 collar to a new G3 transmitter, and informed me that my "old" charging cradle would not function with the new system, so I would need to buy a new charging cradle as well.

Pretty lucrative gig for TT if they do this every few years and consumers take it lying down.

Irishwhistler

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post

The G3 has been out for over five years, though. I don't really think you can blame TT for not making the batteries for a product that evolved a long time ago.
    Hey Mate,
    I still use a "flip phone" and it serves me purposes very well. The phone is old technology but I have no trouble procuring batteries for it.

If there is no real expiration of product life for me e-collar and it works perfectly fine, TT should stick by all of the customers that supported them through the G2 years. I am sure the majority of those customers did not run out and buy the latest G2 with the thoughts that it would be rendered useless for an issue like battery discontinuance.

POOR customer support. Should I be forced into buying a new e-collar, it likely will NOT be from TT.

Irishwhistler

Quote Originally Posted by Irishwhistler View Post
    Hey Mate,
    I still use a "flip phone" and it serves me purposes very well. The phone is old technology but I have no trouble procuring batteries for it.

If there is no real expiration of product life for me e-collar and it works perfectly fine, TT should stick by all of the customers that supported them through the G2 years. I am sure the majority of those customers did not run out and buy the latest G2 with the thoughts that it would be rendered useless for an issue like battery discontinuance.

POOR customer support. Should I be forced into buying a new e-collar, it likely will NOT be from TT.

Irishwhistler
    I'll check the garage over the weekend for old TT stuff and see what I can come up with. I don't think I still have a G2 that has not been already parted out but will double check.

I'll check the garage over the weekend for old TT stuff and see what I can come up with. I don't think I still have a G2 that has not been already parted out but will double check.
    Doublehaul,
    Thanks much!

Cheers,
    Irishwhistler

Yes you can. I have a first generation Pro 500 I bought in 1999. I had to replace the battery four or five years ago and it was no problem. I don't mind paying a lot for a top quality color which the Pro 500 used to be, but I expect it to last a lifetime with periodic battery replacements. I still have my 1995 vintage LR-200 which still works fine. TT collars used to be bullet proof, I'm a little worried about the new ones.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Yes you can. I have a first generation Pro 500 I bought in 1999. I had to replace the battery four or five years ago and it was no problem. I don't mind paying a lot for a top quality color which the Pro 500 used to be, but I expect it to last a lifetime with periodic battery replacements. I still have my 1995 vintage LR-200 which still works fine. TT collars used to be bullet proof, I'm a little worried about the new ones.

John
    Are you worried about the G3s? I have a G3 Pro 500, a G3 Flyway and a G3 Classic 70. I regularly field marry my G3 receivers/collars to any of the transmitters. The only maintenance I've had to do was replace batteries. Other than that, no problem.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Are you worried about the G3s? I have a G3 Pro 500, a G3 Flyway and a G3 Classic 70. I regularly field marry my G3 receivers/collars to any of the transmitters. The only maintenance I've had to do was replace batteries. Other than that, no problem.
    Only worried from this thread, my prior TT products, a Judge, LR 200 and Pro-500 have spoiled me into thinking that, except for batteries, TT products last a lifetime. It hadn't occurred to me batteries may become unavailable in the future.