The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: VW/UAW/Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Sounds like Bush was reading from Jackson's play book when in 2002 when he was pushing for 5.5 million new homes for minorities and a commitment of $440 billion dollars to make sure that happens.
    I think most on this forum would agree that Bush made his fair share of errors.

However, did you know that the same thing is happening all over again?

Further, the new banking laws made more stringent regulations for conventional loans, and the FHA/VA loans became more heavily used. In my own area, the %-age of FHA loans v. conventional soared since the new regulation. We also saw that FHA took a bit hit from the collapse of the real estate bubble (and they were bailed out). Don't be too surprised if we see another such hit. FHA doubled its PMI rate, and made some new regs of its own to offset its preparation for future loan failures. I recently sold a home where the buyer got $12,000 toward his closing costs. Incombination with a PHFA 2nd mortgage, he got another $4000 toward the purchase. Essentially purchased a $235,000 home with less than $5000 out-of-pocket cash. No good will come of this.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    PA is presently considering a "paycheck protection" law for the public sector unions. Presently union members dues and PAC contributions are deducted from paychecks and the proceeds remitted to the unions' headquarters. The law will simply require the unions to collect the dues & PAC contributions themselves. The unions will not lose any of their bargaining rights, just will have to collect their own money.

As part of the discussion of the law, one fact mentioned was that:

It would appear that the union can, at least in some instances, use union dues for political purposes ... along with their PAC contributions.

Now some of those political activities can be voter registration and get-out-the-vote activities. Yet such activities are the same ones that the IRS is proposing would not be allowed for other non-profits. The track record of the IRS on such application of the rules indicate that they are more demanding of non-liberal non-profits. The local 9/12 group has done a really nice job of presenting questionnaires to all candidates and distributing the responses given. As all candidates are given the opportunity to put their views forward, why would it not be considered a reasonable, voter education activity?

Once again you are perpetuating the lie here that union dues are used for political purposes. Both federal and state law prohibit the use of union dues money for political purposes. I have posted links in this forum to the actual laws, but it makes no impression on those who would rather believe otherwise. No Union members dues are used for anything except training, education and other important union issues.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Buzz, the citation I provided says that the public union's own records ... if that is misinformation, it would surely be easy to disprove. The unions have not done so.

that’s according to their own reports to the U.S. Department of Labor.
    I might suspect that those activities might be, as I mentioned, voter registration drives, etc.

It's kind of worse because we're talking of public sector unions ... the candidates they support are the same ones who can reward these activities for the future rather directly.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Buzz, the citation I provided says that the public union's own records ... if that is misinformation, it would surely be easy to disprove. The unions have not done so.

I might suspect that those activities might be, as I mentioned, voter registration drives, etc.

It's kind of worse because we're talking of public sector unions ... the candidates they support are the same ones who can reward these activities for the future rather directly.
    I can tell you it's illegal to use union dues for Political purposes here in Ct.

Our union has a VOLUNTARY political fund that our members can choose to contribute to that is collected SEPERATELY from our dues. I donate the princely sum of 1$ per week to that fund.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    I can tell you it's illegal to use union dues for Political purposes here in Ct.

Our union has a VOLUNTARY political fund that our members can choose to contribute to that is collected SEPERATELY from our dues. I donate the princely sum of 1$ per week to that fund.-Paul

This is the deal Paul. There is a group in Penn called the Commonwealth Foundation. They call themselves a "think tank." They are 501-C3, but it is shown that they are nothing but an advocacy group taking money from the likes of the Koch Brothers. They are conflating dues money wit voluntary contributions that members give to their PAC. It is nothing more than another attempt to conjure up anger in the electorate to take away another funding vehicle for their political foes. They don't care if you use payroll deductions to pay taxes, SS, Medicare, insurance, and for making contributions to your savings plans. But God forbid they use the computerized payroll systems for members to pay their dues and make automatic per pay period VOLUNTARY contributions to the advocacy group that lobbies on their behalf. For shame...

Every single reference I can find in newspapers etc. all go back to this Commonwealth Fund. They are acting as an astroturf group, trying to get critical mass of support built up in the State of Penn to get a law passed that will defund right wing opposition. They think it's dandy for rich arse holes to pour billions secretly into politics, but its BAD BAD BAD for large numbers of folks to each put a few dollars each int the pot to defend their best interests. It's sick.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/183674618/...opaganda-mills
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Buzz, you make it sound as if the Ds, or liberals, don't do exactly the same thing WRT to political funding. Except for the liberals, the key name would be Soros.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Buzz, you make it sound as if the Ds, or liberals, don't do exactly the same thing WRT to political funding. Except for the liberals, the key name would be Soros.
    I saw a study on this recently. When I have time I'll dig it up. The study showed that liberals tend to give money more to social welfare causes that they will not personally profit from, whereas conservatives like Coors and Kochs tend to put their money toward causes that aim to change laws etc. that will in the end make more money for them. There is a huge difference in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I saw a study on this recently. When I have time I'll dig it up. The study showed that liberals tend to give money more to social welfare causes that they will not personally profit from, whereas conservatives like Coors and Kochs tend to put their money toward causes that aim to change laws etc. that will in the end make more money for them. There is a huge difference in my opinion.
    The Kochs have donated over 20 million to PBS which is not always their friend. In fact, they produced a documentary about how bad they were and decided not to run the program. They felt PBS may lose the their few million dollar donation each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Storts View Post
    The Kochs have donated over 20 million to PBS which is not always their friend. In fact, they produced a documentary about how bad they were and decided not to run the program. They felt PBS may lose the their few million dollar donation each year.
    Imagine that. PBS produces a documentary exposing what the Koch's are up to, and they don't run it because they are afraid of losing that funding. Looks like they got just what they wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    This is the deal Paul. There is a group in Penn called the Commonwealth Foundation. They call themselves a "think tank." They are 501-C3, but it is shown that they are nothing but an advocacy group taking money from the likes of the Koch Brothers. They are conflating dues money wit voluntary contributions that members give to their PAC. It is nothing more than another attempt to conjure up anger in the electorate to take away another funding vehicle for their political foes. They don't care if you use payroll deductions to pay taxes, SS, Medicare, insurance, and for making contributions to your savings plans. But God forbid they use the computerized payroll systems for members to pay their dues and make automatic per pay period VOLUNTARY contributions to the advocacy group that lobbies on their behalf. For shame...

Every single reference I can find in newspapers etc. all go back to this Commonwealth Fund. They are acting as an astroturf group, trying to get critical mass of support built up in the State of Penn to get a law passed that will defund right wing opposition. They think it's dandy for rich arse holes to pour billions secretly into politics, but its BAD BAD BAD for large numbers of folks to each put a few dollars each int the pot to defend their best interests. It's sick.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/183674618/...opaganda-mills
    On the right it is Freedom Partners, on the left it is Climate Action, as examples - explain the difference? Both funded by very wealthy folks who want a say!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!