The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog health? - help! We are stumped!!

Default Dog health? - help! We are stumped!!

Just throwing this out there to see if any of you guys may have encountered the same problem and figured it out.

Sometime last fall My dog, a 3.5 year old CLM started to have days where he would not eat. At first, it was just a day, no big deal, we assumed he just wasn't feeling well, and the next day he would be fine. From there it progressed to not eating for 2 days, then he would eat again. This same scenario occurred every four to six weeks. When at Christmas it happened twice in the same week. From there forward it occurs about a week apart and is lasting several days. The typical symptoms that accompany the lack of appetite are gurgling stomach/intestines and lethargic, in an effort to get him eating we added canned food to the diet which also seemed to cause semi-soft stool. The wet food helps to get him eating but there are times when he dosent want that either.

Initially pancreatitis was suspected, that got ruled out, then Addison's Disease, which was also ruled out, from there we get suspected IBD. He's been switched to prescription diet food and we have started a trial of metronidazole. For the first couple of days we thought the drugs were working, as the stool had become firm. But now he has completely stopped eating again. I suspect we will now be trying prednisone for a trial....

We have done several blood tests, x-rays, and ultrasound. I've had his medical records looked at by a few different vets, nobody has been able to suggest anything other than what we have already tried. I've tried contacting the breeder to see if either of the parents had any issues, but seems she has completely disappeared. We are completely stumped here, and to be honest, I'm losing faith....

Has anybody on here experienced something similar? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Newf View Post
    Just throwing this out there to see if any of you guys may have encountered the same problem and figured it out.

Sometime last fall My dog, a 3.5 year old CLM started to have days where he would not eat. At first, it was just a day, no big deal, we assumed he just wasn't feeling well, and the next day he would be fine. From there it progressed to not eating for 2 days, then he would eat again. This same scenario occurred every four to six weeks. When at Christmas it happened twice in the same week. From there forward it occurs about a week apart and is lasting several days. The typical symptoms that accompany the lack of appetite are gurgling stomach/intestines and lethargic, in an effort to get him eating we added canned food to the diet which also seemed to cause semi-soft stool. The wet food helps to get him eating but there are times when he dosent want that either.

Initially pancreatitis was suspected, that got ruled out, then Addison's Disease, which was also ruled out, from there we get suspected IBD. He's been switched to prescription diet food and we have started a trial of metronidazole. For the first couple of days we thought the drugs were working, as the stool had become firm. But now he has completely stopped eating again. I suspect we will now be trying prednisone for a trial....

We have done several blood tests, x-rays, and ultrasound. I've had his medical records looked at by a few different vets, nobody has been able to suggest anything other than what we have already tried. I've tried contacting the breeder to see if either of the parents had any issues, but seems she has completely disappeared. We are completely stumped here, and to be honest, I'm losing faith....

Has anybody on here experienced something similar? Any ideas?
    where are you located?
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I'm in Alberta, Canada.

What are you feeding him normally?

A couple of things to check. House plants or any chemicals in the house, garage, or outside that he could have possibly gotten into. I expect you have already done this but have you checked his teeth?
    Last edited by fishin444; 02-15-2014 at 12:05 PM.

This may seem like a long shot, but ask your vet about Giardia. One of our local puppies had similar symptoms (periodically not eating, lethargic, tummy gurgling, diarrhea) and that's what it was. It was about 1-2 months between bouts of symptoms also. They did a course of treatment (not sure with what, but I can ask) and she's had no issues since.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

I should have added we have also run a round of de wormers. We are feeding hills prescription diet. GI Restore.

I would contact Dr. Jean Dodds about food sensitivities and intolerance and look into Nutriscan testing
    http://www.nutriscan.org/

Tylan Powder can really help to manage symptoms in some difficult cases. You might discuss this option with your vet.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=10935
    Last edited by frontier; 02-15-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I had a lab with IBD who had similar symptoms. IBD is diagnosed by endoscopy with biopsy. That should be your next step.

Buck

Our dog had similar symptoms. Tylan was the first thing we tried that had a major effect (after a long string of various things that didn't help.) Through trial and error we found that he also needs an enzyme supplement and a low-fat diet. We never finished the testing and endoscopy: since we were able to resolve the symptoms why put him through the anesthesia. It also seemed as if he developed a fear of eating, knowing it would make his stomach hurt. It took quite awhile before he ate normally again. Your dog might need something completely different, but thought you might be encouraged that you are not alone in dealing with these symptoms. Good luck.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ