The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 85

Thread: started dog prices

  1. #1

    Default started dog prices

    Ive been seeing alot of different pricing for started dogs that are about at the same level. So if you have a FCxMH thats been trained up to TT, what makes you determine the price. Ive seen them go from 1500 all the way up to 4500. Is this just how bad they want to get rid of the dog or a personal thing?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mike Tome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brunswick, MD
    Posts
    1,783

    Default

    Bloodlines, training, and what the market will bear. Not all bloodlines are equal, not all training is equal, and then, the bottom line is what a buyer is willing to pay and a seller willing to accept an offer.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

    MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

    Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Longview Texas
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Everyone is different but I price my started dogs based on current skill set. Take the average number of months that it would take to get a dog to that level from six months of age. That way you are basically paying the same amount as you would if you bought a puppy and sent them to training. That does not factor in all the time spent raising them from a puppy or feed and other care during that time so in most cases you are coming out ahead. The problem is that people have different definitions of what started, seasoned, and finished means. I like to use the written standards set forth by the AKC and UKC for a dog of that level. That way there is a defensible and measurable standard with which to judge the dog against.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Most FcxMH pups sell for $1000 to $1500 at 8 weeks and to get a dog trained correctly to TT you will have most likely a year of training in them if not more. The question is if it was all done correctly without any holes in there training also how good the dog is marking how much go they have ,training attitude etc.

  5. #5
    Senior Member copterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dckdwg82 View Post
    Ive been seeing alot of different pricing for started dogs that are about at the same level. So if you have a FCxMH thats been trained up to TT, what makes you determine the price. Ive seen them go from 1500 all the way up to 4500. Is this just how bad they want to get rid of the dog or a personal thing?
    Regardless of what the ad says, I believe that ANY dog being advertized to be sold, is being washed out.

    The reason that the dog is being washed out, factors into the price at least as much as pedigree.
    Once you know (or think you know) how good (or bad) of a dog that you have, pedigree only matters for breeding.

    Find out why the dog is being sold.
    That isn't the same thing as asking the seller why the dog is being sold.

    You need to FIND OUT why the dog is being sold.

    The Cops don't take the word of the suspect as Gospel.
    They do ask them questions, but that's just part of the investigation to find out the truth.

    There are plenty of GREAT deals on started dogs.

    You can easily get the best dog of your entire lifetime, for a fraction of what you would have paid to train and raise that dog from a puppy, to the point that it's at when you buy it.

    The seller almost always takes a monumental loss.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

  6. #6
    Senior Member Scott Adams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Regardless of what the ad says, I believe that ANY dog being advertized to be sold, is being washed out.

    The reason that the dog is being washed out, factors into the price at least as much as pedigree.
    Once you know (or think you know) how good (or bad) of a dog that you have, pedigree only matters for breeding.

    Find out why the dog is being sold.
    That isn't the same thing as asking the seller why the dog is being sold.

    You need to FIND OUT why the dog is being sold.

    The Cops don't take the word of the suspect as Gospel.
    They do ask them questions, but that's just part of the investigation to find out the truth.

    There are plenty of GREAT deals on started dogs.

    You can easily get the best dog of your entire lifetime, for a fraction of what you would have paid to train and raise that dog from a puppy, to the point that it's at when you buy it.

    The seller almost always takes a monumental loss.
    I agree with most of what you have said, but not this: "believe that ANY dog being advertized to be sold, is being washed out."

    There are a lot of reasons that people sell started dogs.
    1) Some prefer working with young dogs, and then selling them to help finance their hobby.
    2) To put a young dog into someone else's hands and watch it become a player is a point of pride.
    3) Some prefer the training over competing.
    4)Young dogs generally don't require the time and resources that All-Age dogs will. 1 trainer with one helper can accomplish lot.
    5) Some people see an opportunity to finance other priorities in life by doing something they enjoy.
    6) Generally speaking, the more dogs you can put your hands on, the better trainer/ handler you can become.

    Anyone care to add to this list?
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

  7. #7
    Senior Member copterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    If the dog isn't a washout, it wouldn't be for sale.

    And it certainly wouldn't be advertized for sale.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chewelah, WA
    Posts
    779

    Default

    People also sell dogs because of life situations--divorce, new baby, moving where they can't keep the dog, etc.

    Meredith

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bruce MacPherson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jewell, Ore
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    If the dog isn't a washout, it wouldn't be for sale.

    And it certainly wouldn't be advertized for sale.
    I'm not sure if you're kidding or just clueless. I think Scott described it pretty well, there are plenty of reasons to sell a dog besides it being a washout.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Scott Adams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    If the dog isn't a washout, it wouldn't be for sale.

    And it certainly wouldn't be advertized for sale.
    Epic fail.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •