The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: started dog prices

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    If the dog isn't a washout, it wouldn't be for sale.

And it certainly wouldn't be advertized for sale.
    I thought you wasn't allowed to play on the computer after you been drinking
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Adams View Post
    I agree with most of what you have said, but not this: "believe that ANY dog being advertized to be sold, is being washed out."

There are a lot of reasons that people sell started dogs.
    1) Some prefer working with young dogs, and then selling them to help finance their hobby.
    2) To put a young dog into someone else's hands and watch it become a player is a point of pride.
    3) Some prefer the training over competing.
    4)Young dogs generally don't require the time and resources that All-Age dogs will. 1 trainer with one helper can accomplish lot.
    5) Some people see an opportunity to finance other priorities in life by doing something they enjoy.
    6) Generally speaking, the more dogs you can put your hands on, the better trainer/ handler you can become.

Anyone care to add to this list?
    Pretty well sums it up in my book. Done all of the above. There is a market out there for field trial prospects too, that to build a reputation you have to be willing to sell the best dog you have ever owned. If you are not willing to do that then perhaps you shouldn't be selling dogs. A started dog has many definitions, one could be selling dogs for their potential or promise of a dog in the venue you are selling. To some folks a started dog among the Pro ranks could be a dog on the National Derby List, QAA and not derbied out. So you are buying the proof of perhaps the pudding down the road. A washout could be about anything.
    Personal knowledge of a "washout young trial dog" for about $2500. some folks picked up, put it with a pro from a experienced amateur, went on to have over 100 all-age points titled both ways and competed in many nationals. Conversely a dog out of a very prominent pro field trialer camp's client was told not to buy the 20 month old dog.Price was dropped in half, Hunt Test Pro bought the dog and she went on to be a finalist in 6 Master Nationals. Was she a washout, I didn't think so, but, she went on to do great things in the AKC hunt test game. Found out later there was a conflict with the buyer, client and trainer.
    Last edited by Criquetpas; 02-15-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    I thought you wasn't allowed to play on the computer after you been drinking
    That's funny right there!
    TBRO

Choose your battles carefully, life is too short to spend fighting.

I have a young dog now I am planning to sell. She is 16 months old. Out of Nafc and a canadian national finalist Who has produced qual. all age dogs. I have three young dogs and an All age bitch that went nine series in the recent national. I have to reduce number so I talked to my trainers and we picked the two you dogs that seem like they are doing the best and that we can evaluate at this time. Sophie is low girl on the stick. She has been with Kevin Cheff for 10 months doing pretty well he likes her but she is low girl so my wife and I are selling.

Is she a washout. Nope, could go on and do great things it seems she is maturing a little slower than the other so we made the decision. So the OP asked how we priced. I have 10 months of pro training. 900 a month plus all other costs so I say I have 11k invested plus puppy cost although I bred her. I am asking 5k but has to be the correct home.

I want to move her within the next month reduce my training bill so we figured 5k was a good number.

So, you know exactly how we came up with price. To me she is not a washout. I would keep if I didn't have two other young dogs plus an all-age who just turned on and won several opens. We planned on retiring her but not now, so I must sell a young dog.

There ya go. Hope that helped folks understand that all dogs being sold are not all washouts and how people come up with their price.

Written on phone so sorry. One post just upset me with his absurd comments.

Cheers

Chris. 407-721-0771
    Last edited by Laird's Retrievers; 02-15-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Chris, your explanation is a great example, that people who sell started dogs, are not getting rich from it. Even if the cost of Pro training is not factored in, it is far and away the exception that someone will profit on selling young dogs, although it does happen. The motivations to sell are personal and different from dog to dog and owner to owner.
    Buyer still needs to beware, but for those with the shekels, it may be a less costly route, to buy started dogs.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

I have a problem following this thread, I have a boy that is QAA and a MH, but since his true love is huntig (so is mine) I told my Pro to run him on a few hunt test set ups while training for F/T since I could see he was getting down on F/T training I asked that they run him on a few H/T set ups to keep his attitude up. After 3 weeks H/T training instead of F/T training he ran 7 masters and finished 6 in a row for his MH and then successfully completed the Master National. Is this a wash out? Hopefully we will have success this year in both veniews. It depends on your goals, are you in it for you or for your dog? Our dogs dont have egos, we do, go for where heart sends you.
    Last edited by DEN/TRU/CRU; 02-15-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: didn't finish
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH

I pretty much do #1 in Scott's post 3 or 4 times a yr. When I buy a pup at 7 weeks it's already being groomed to sell as a started dog. Anyone ever washed out a 7 week old pup? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Pretty well sums it up in my book. Done all of the above. There is a market out there for field trial prospects too, that to build a reputation you have to be willing to sell the best dog you have ever owned. If you are not willing to do that then perhaps you shouldn't be selling dogs. A started dog has many definitions, one could be selling dogs for their potential or promise of a dog in the venue you are selling. To some folks a started dog among the Pro ranks could be a dog on the National Derby List, QAA and not derbied out. So you are buying the proof of perhaps the pudding down the road. A washout could be about anything.
    Personal knowledge of a "washout young trial dog" for about $2500. some folks picked up, put it with a pro from a experienced amateur, went on to have over 100 all-age points titled both ways and competed in many nationals. Conversely a dog out of a very prominent pro field trialer camp's client was told not to buy the 20 month old dog.Price was dropped in half, Hunt Test Pro bought the dog and she went on to be a finalist in 6 Master Nationals. Was she a washout, I didn't think so, but, she went on to do great things in the AKC hunt test game. Found out later there was a conflict with the buyer, client and trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Laird's Retrievers View Post
    I have a young dog now I am planning to sell. She is 16 months old. Out of Nafc and a canadian national finalist Who has produced qual. all age dogs. I have three young dogs and an All age bitch that went nine series in the recent national. I have to reduce number so I talked to my trainers and we picked the two you dogs that seem like they are doing the best and that we can evaluate at this time. Sophie is low girl on the stick. She has been with Kevin Cheff for 10 months doing pretty well he likes her but she is low girl so my wife and I are selling.

Is she a washout. Nope, could go on and do great things it seems she is maturing a little slower than the other so we made the decision. So the OP asked how we priced. I have 10 months of pro training. 900 a month plus all other costs so I say I have 11k invested plus puppy cost although I bred her. I am asking 5k but has to be the correct home.

I want to move her within the next month reduce my training bill so we figured 5k was a good number.

So, you know exactly how we came up with price. To me she is not a washout. I would keep if I didn't have two other young dogs plus an all-age who just turned on and won several opens. We planned on retiring her but not now, so I must sell a young dog.

There ya go. Hope that helped folks understand that all dogs being sold are not all washouts and how people come up with their price.

Written on phone so sorry. One post just upset me with his absurd comments.

Cheers

Chris. 407-721-0771
    I recently did the same thing with a 14 month BLM. He was low man on the stick. He was with Jim Van Engen and then Jason Baker.
    I had about 12K in him and sold him for $5K. I have a four year old all age BLF that is starting to turn on and a 5 month BLF that will
    go to Jason in a couple months. Trying to keep my pro training bill to 2 dogs per month.

The young man that bought the BLM, plans to run him in some derby, SRS and maybe AKC hunt tests.
    He is tickled to death, and got a really nice dog for a really nice price!!!
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH
    Buck

Regardless of what the ad says, I believe that ANY dog being advertized to be sold, is being washed out.[QUOTE]

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say,,and does not apply to every one.
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Sometimes, people sell dogs because their personalities don't click. I have seen that happen numerous times. The new owner goes on and takes them to being a field champion or whatever. It's not all because they are truly a "wash out."
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com