The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: started dog prices

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    His cynical point is that the cream of the crop are sold under the table, with handshake deals and money exchanged in brown paper bags that the average Joe just doesn't know about, and a dog that would never be offered to him.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled poking of the skunk.
    Most folks aren't aware of the deals that are made. It becomes he said, that she said that they said and on and on. Most folks that sell dogs at high prices don't discus it as it is a private transaction among the seller and the buyer. I like the poking the skunk! still laughing Susan made my day.
    Earl Dillow

Some breeders will not sell to amateurs or if the amateurs have pro help they will say not that pro. Some will never sell to certain people because they don't like them. Some FTers won't sell to HT people because it is not challenging enough - I know burn - but it is true. The $12,000 cost for a one year old dog is right on(2014) but that does not mean it is worth that $. Lastly I did antique/street rods for over 30 years and the value is in the eye of the beholder when you sell. I always advise people be it dogs/cars/houses buy what you buy but don't think you are always are going to break even or make a profit. PS I am a FTer but did HT/support it.

Quote Originally Posted by dckdwg82 View Post
    Ive been seeing alot of different pricing for started dogs that are about at the same level. So if you have a FCxMH thats been trained up to TT, what makes you determine the price. Ive seen them go from 1500 all the way up to 4500. Is this just how bad they want to get rid of the dog or a personal thing?
    I'm surprised no one has sighted the real driver of price in the market, that being demand vs. supply. There was a time when you could easily get $4,500 for a dog that would run a basic land blind simply by calling the right company. $6,000 - $8,000 was an achievable goal with a decent dog. When demand was high relative to supply, selling started dogs wasn't very difficult. In fact, there were a lot higher prices paid for dogs with this level of training in 2009-2011.

Demand has eased quite a bit since we pulled out of Afghanistan so prices have normalized. Prices are going to be based on what the market will bear at any given time, or the sellers assessment of value.

Wouldn't be the first time you heard someone say "If I can't get x for it, I'll keep it" same applies here sometimes.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 02-17-2014 at 09:26 AM.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    A couple of times.

But why are you guys poking a skunk with a stick?
    Very, very good point and well taken!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

and sometimes the pro is the go between and acts as the agent between the former owner and the future owner, both who are coincidently their client
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    and sometimes the pro is the go between and acts as the agent between the former owner and the future owner, both who are coincidently their client
    Exactly. I have recently sold a couple this way to a very well known FT pro. I will get a pup and train him to a level where I think he is going to make it in AA. If the dog is there, then I can contact the pro and see if any of his clients are looking for a nice prospect. If they are, I will ship the dog to the pro or meet him if he is at his summer training grounds.
    Then the pro will assess him for a period of time, usually three to four weeks. Probably run him in derby or two. If he likes what he sees he will tell the clients to purchase him. Nearly everything is conducted through the pro.

Heck, I have 30K tied up in 2 two year olds (brother and sister). Bought one as a FT washout. They're perfect for what I want (HT). The price is what you're willing to pay or walk away. I'd spend another 30K and not think twice. And I don't do FTs. By the time you add all of the things that it takes to do it right, it gets expensive. It's like marrying a spoiled brat. If you aren't willing to keep up the spoiling, don't sign the papers.

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    "What we have here is a failure to comunicate" for which concluding the breakdown was caused Semantics may not cover it compleatly, perhaps it's a deficit in their Pragmatic Language Skills Inventory ........

http://www.thelearningclinic.org/PDF...nstandForm.pdf

Orrrrrrrrr, it could just be that some say potato while others say potato

john
    Do you expect anyone on here to read that John!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by golfandhunter View Post
    Thanks Sharon, you hit the nail on the head.
    Spag, that 12K doesn't include any of my time or expenses related to going to train with the pro and my pup.(motel,vehicle exp,gas,food).
    It takes alot of CHEESE and or time to try and play the Field Trial game at the highest level.
    Oh...OK! You're taking FT dogs. My bad! I'm out!
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Pretty easy, actually, if one is looking at the high end of the dog games.

Let's say a well-bred pup at $2000. Add nine months of training at $1000 brings it to $11,000, add vet expenses of a couple hundred and the five bags of dog food it cost before the pup went off for training at $45 apiece. Almost 12k right there, and that doesn't include everything.
    I guess there are a lot of things in the FT game that I'm not aware of...actually I know NOTHING about it. Please don't misconstrue this as being argumentative. The two main things I wasn't aware of...first, that you'd have 9 mos. of training in a 14 MO dog and secondly, that FT training with a pro was that expensive.
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"