The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: started dog prices

Not just FT dogs. A hunt test pro would charge $650-800 a month. Add in cost of the pup,birds, shots, vet bills ,etc and a started dog can be almost as much. 18 month old pup has at least $10K into it.
    As far as selling a "washout". Most will be more then what the " normal" HT person expects and do well for them. I personally make sure it goes to a home that will care for them first. Never have gotten even close to the dollars have in them.
    Last edited by labsforme; 02-17-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Most folks that sell dogs at high prices don't discus it as it is a private transaction among the seller and the buyer. .
    Very true. And what is really paid is never what is being discussed/gossiped about. It always gets severely inflated. I had this discussion with a friend of mine who purchases dogs this way. I was told the exact prices that were paid.

IF YOU POKE A SKUNK, YOU NEED TO HAVE A VERY LONG STICK, REGARDS-
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Sometimes the numbers are what are being said - $100,000, $250,000, etc.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

There are Wash-Outs and then there are Wash-Outs.
    > Some owners have goals for dogs they campaign to qualify for National and National Am every year. A dog not up to National caliber will be cut loose and may even go on to become someone else's FC-AFC.
    > A dog washed out due to unwanted or unsolvable problems in training or competition may easily turn around and blossom in the hands of a different owner or trainer.
    > There are real washouts sold at up and comer prices to the unsuspecting.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

for me, it is like my friend earl said in an earlier post. i sold a 23 month old dog last year. the new owner's pro won a ft qual at two years nine days(name printed in red on josie's email that week). a friend who is a very notable ft am sent a pm and asked, "why did you sell that dog?" my response was, "if i am ever to be known for selling nice young dogs.......sometimes i gotta sell a nice dog!"

so copdoc, would you this consider this dog a washout if in my sales contract, 1) i got a kicker on the qaa, 2) i hope to get one on the fc one day, 3) i have two future breedings by him to my bitches and 4) i have a first right of refusal to purchase him back from the buyer at $1 above any documented offer of purchase?

btw i have one now that i would sell that is more talented imo than that one. he is nafc x fc, black, 25 months and not a washout!

256-599-4996
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    for me, it is like my friend earl said in an earlier post. i sold a 23 month old dog last year. the new owner's pro won a ft qual at two years nine days(name printed in red on josie's email that week). a friend who is a very notable ft am sent a pm and asked, "why did you sell that dog?" my response was, "if i am ever to be known for selling nice young dogs.......sometimes i gotta sell a nice dog!"

so copdoc, would you this consider this dog a washout if in my sales contract, 1) i got a kicker on the qaa, 2) i hope to get one on the fc one day, 3) i have two future breedings by him to my bitches and 4) i have a first right of refusal to purchase him back from the buyer at $1 above any documented offer of purchase?

btw i have one now that i would sell that is more talented imo than that one. he is nafc x fc, black, 25 months and not a washout!

256-599-4996
    Come on John, tell the truth. Sherry said you have too many and made you get rid of one.
    If women washed us out like we do our dogs, do you think either of us would still be at home? I think not!!!!!!!!
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    Come on John, tell the truth. Sherry said you have too many and made you get rid of one.
    If women washed us out like we do our dogs, do you think either of us would still be at home? I think not!!!!!!!!
    MP
    LOL!!!!!! You guys must do windows and dishes!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    LOL!!!!!! You guys must do windows and dishes!
    susan and mike,
    this the truth and i swear it is. i posted, went and emptied the dishwasher, started dinner and looked in on this thread while my sauce simmers and water for pasta comes to a boil!

btw, i think sherry has a young one she likes better! she's just too attached to the old one, plus there is no market!
    john mccallie

I bought a "wash out" dog (male black lab) from a pro trainer in 1998 for $2500. He agreed to get him his SH title as part of the deal and that was done at 18 months. That dog ran circles around the dogs owned by my hunting buddies and most guides. He passed away about 2 years ago. I got a replacement (another male black lab) from a breeder out of state. This one was more carefully bred. I took him to a pro for 3 months and took over myself after that. I paid $1000 for the puppy and $650x3 for the pro. When I got him back from the pro he was force fetched and obedient. He is much smarter, faster and easier to train than my "wash out" was and just finished his second hunting season running circles around the same types of hunting dogs at double the speed.

I've never liked the idea of washing out dogs, this means you bought a dog it didn't do exactly as you'd like; (usually FT's); so you off-load (aka. Sell it). It will be good enough for someone else, it will be Good-enough to hunt, it will be good-enough to run hunt tests. I've always taken issue with the Idea of Good-Enough, probably because I've always needed the whole package. I do Like the idea of Started dogs; meaning someone bought a dog has trained it up, usually with the intention of selling. I see such dogs as being sold (as Value added Dogs) and not washed out, because they lack something. I'm sure on the surface this is the same thing, different verbiage. However I feel this is the difference btw a $1500 started dog; a $4500 started dog and a $10,000 started-derby dog. Training, talent and skill-set do fall in there, but I don't like the idea of selling somebody something at an discounted price; that wasn't good enough for me but will be fine for you.

I kept a male from my last litter (I planned on doing this prior to ever having the litter). I kept him to train up and sell as a finished dog; mainly because I wanted to ensure that one of the males received; the training to go to the higher levels, and would get the chance to excel later. I choose the litter because I like training that type of dog; I chose a male to ensure I wouldn't get too attached; (I'm a female person). The pup is 14mt (starting transition work) is user friendly and pretty amazing (in everything he's done) (boy's are so much easier than girls ) I still intend to sell him as a finished dog (put a couple of upper level passes on him, and let the new owner finish up). He will not be sold as a washout, he will be well placed with someone who will appreciate him and what was put into him, and who is ready to take that next step (whatever they choose that to be).
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-18-2014 at 03:34 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)