The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Goldens, Dog Shows, and GOLDEN RETRIEVERS by M N Morphet.

Default Goldens, Dog Shows, and GOLDEN RETRIEVERS by M N Morphet.

My friend acquired the book GOLDEN RETRIEVERS RESEARCH INTO THE FIRST CENTURY IN THE SHOW RING. We looked at it yesterday. It is a very interesting book which includes several photos through the years of well known Goldens.

We noticed a few things. First, there were Dual Champions in the past. Second, even the show dogs (In UK and USA) in the past with no field titles had quite a field look to them, evident in their coat, feathering, weight, leg and head. For those who have not seen these photos, get a look at the book. Third, as we thumbed through the book you could see the change as the photos progressed from older times to more modern times.

My friend is an old timer and has been involved in Goldens for 50 years. When we looked at some of the photos of the more current show dogs his comment was "Imagine hunting that dog all day. It couldn't last. And think about picking the burrs out of that coat at the end of the day."

I feel that for any working dog, any breed---there is quite a big difference between the dog that can do the work (a few retrieves for a training session) and the dog that can work for several hours and come back for more the next day. Believe me, I have seen dogs from many breeds at hunt tests that I don't think can work all day.

OK, so there were show dogs and field dogs in the past, just like the present. Why was a split in type not evident in the past but is evident now?

I am interested in all comments but especially from old timers who have witnessed the change.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I was hoping for some replies.

I think that the following might be valid conclusions:

There are no old time Golden people reading this.
    Current Golden owners aren't familiar with what the Golden looked like 60 to 100 years ago.
    The type of person showing Goldens has changed throughout the years.
    Every show Golden from those early years looked like he/she could do a full day in the field.
    Many current Field Goldens look like some of those early Bench Champions.

Again, the above book is really a good book. I hope that Golden owners get a look at it. Warning---it is a big book and a lot of reading

Well I will try and help you out here. I am an old baby boomer who joine the Central Minnesota Retreiver Club , Sauk Rapids , MN in 1977 and still am active w/my geographic moves. I was exposed early on to Dr. L. M. Evans of Sauk Rapids , MN who had two NFC Goldens. 1944 was a very dark reddish bitch Shelter Cove Beauty and 1950 Beautywood Tamarack (males). We still have pictures in our clubhouse of them. Additionally when he died a great amount of his memorabilia was given to the club and I spent many summer post-training days looking at the materials. Fortunately for safety and preservation purposes a relative now has the material. The dogs were lean , moderately feathered and could work as I was told back them by my elders (now obviously deceased). Equally, I had the opportunity to see the last Golden national derby champ Bens Enchanted Budweiser (1981-66 derby points). Similar build owned by Darrell and Vee Frisbee (MN).Lastly , bragging up a club member , Bob Zylla won the 2012 NFC w/ a black lab male Seasides Pelican Pete. Goldens were and are still held highly in that area. In fact Bob is related to Doc Evans. A full circle.

Just saw your post. There have been quite a few articles in the GRNews re the early Dual Champions. Should be an article coming up in Mar-Apr about NFC Shelter Cove Beauty and NFC Beautywoods Tamarack. Beauty was the grand-dam of Timmy. There was a very good article by Judy Rasmuson about why there are no Duals. If you don't get the GRNews, let me know, and I can send you pdfs about some of these old dogs. Ralph Boalt said about the early Goldens that they ran field trials one day, showed in conformation the next, and then went hunting. They were triple purpose dogs.

I just got a book from England called "The Best of the Best" which is a History of the IGL Retriever Championship 1909 - 2011. This is England's National. Haven't read it yet. Big and heavy and just toting it around should help build upper body strength. Hope to start on it tomorrow.

Glenda

Thank you swliszka and Glenda Brown. You both have confirmed what my thoughts are.

Glenda, I like Ralph Boalt's description of Goldens as triple purpose dogs.

One of our "Golden Historians" has been banned! Otherwise I am sure you would have already heard an ear-full!

Missin' the Mel...
    Randy
    Randy Hand
    Semper Klamath River Amber Ale** (Amber)
    Klamath's Heartbreak Kid (Valentino)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda Brown View Post
    Just saw your post. There have been quite a few articles in the GRNews re the early Dual Champions. Should be an article coming up in Mar-Apr about NFC Shelter Cove Beauty and NFC Beautywoods Tamarack. Beauty was the grand-dam of Timmy. There was a very good article by Judy Rasmuson about why there are no Duals. If you don't get the GRNews, let me know, and I can send you pdfs about some of these old dogs. Ralph Boalt said about the early Goldens that they ran field trials one day, showed in conformation the next, and then went hunting. They were triple purpose dogs.

I just got a book from England called "The Best of the Best" which is a History of the IGL Retriever Championship 1909 - 2011. This is England's National. Haven't read it yet. Big and heavy and just toting it around should help build upper body strength. Hope to start on it tomorrow.

Glenda
    Butting in kind of, but are we forgetting dual CH. Push Comes To Shove? CH, OTCH/FTCH/AFTCH /AM*** And I hope I got these titles in the right order !!

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Current Golden owners aren't familiar with what the Golden looked like 60 to 100 years ago.
    Considering that the golden was very rare 60-100 years ago and few current golden owners were around then anyway, that would not surprise me.

My grandparents got their first golden in 1937--12 years after they were recognized by the AKC and a year before GRCA has founded. We have had them in the family ever since. The breed didn't really take off until the President's dog effect hit with Liberty in the 1970s. Folks always thought we had Irish Setters which were way more popular back then.

From my experience and pictures of the ones we had in the old days, they don't look exactly like most bench champions of today, nor do they look like the typical FT dogs. More in the middle on both sides.