The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Training Tips ?? HRC Hand thrown diverison bird ??

Default Training Tips ?? HRC Hand thrown diverison bird ??

Wondering if any of you have some good tips, or training drills to help train for the HRC style hand thrown diversion birds that are thrown from the line ? We have been working this is about 2 times a week for the last couple of weeks, at first she would drop the retrieved bird and veer towards the diversion, we have improved that and now she continues to hold! So were making progress!

She is a high drive dog, and even though I feel that most of the time I think I can call her off of the diversion, I want to "KNOW" she want go for it, so I want to train her right on this.

Any techniques or drills any of you have used to make her bomb proof towards those diversions thrown on line ? She has been doing well with diversion during blind drills, she just seems to really want that diversion bird so bad when that gun is fired and the bird is thrown so close .
    "MAC"
    SHR Mac's Scars To Prove It (Josie)

I don't know about bomb proof but just keep what your are doing. Just be prepared with the whistle in your mouth and finger on the ecollar. You probably need someone else besides you throw the diversion for a change. Generally in seasoned it is thrown off to the side.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Have a helper toss diversion away from the dog return so the helper is between the dog and the bird at first,if the dog wants to switch, have the helper pick it up before the dog gets there.
    I also have my dog sit to whistle on the way back and then toss the diversion bird at first then recall the dog. Set the dog up to succeed.
    my 2 cents
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Whistle sit the dog as he returns and diversion bird is being shot and tossed. Be sure he holds on to the bird he has when sitting. When diversion bird down, call him into you. It just takes some teaching this is what you want. If you have to nick it is for the not sitting when whistle blown. IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

In a hunting situation,if a person shoots while MY dog is out making a retrieve he or she will not be invited back!!!! With that being said,it is something you run into in tests ,go to page 38 and 39 in building a retriever (Carrol Cassity). Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Here is how I do it.
    You and dog at pitchers mound. Short hand thrown mark toward second base. Only 20 yards or so. Send dog. On the way back, throw another 1/2 way between home plate and first base. Dog almost has to come to you and finish retrieve before going for diversion. Do several, keep the marks short.
    Next day throw directly to first base. dog should continue to you to finish retrieve. Be ready with the HERE whistle when you throw the diversion. Do several.
    Next time, throw diversion toward third base. Same thing.
    Next several sessions, throw it a little closer to the dog alternate left and right. Be ready with the HERE whistle.
    I can throw diversions right at my older dogs and they don't pay any attention.
    Only time I have ever had a switch in a test was in a Finished HRC test where the bird tech was very late kicking off the winger and the diversion bird hit my dog in the head on a water retrieve. She dropped the blind bird and stepped back. Both birds floating together. I told her to FETCH and of course she picked up the bird with the ribbon.
    A good set of judges would have called a no bird, but one was in a hurry to get the test over for a family event, so we had the privilege of honoring on lead.
    Take our time with it and this ought to work for you.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Good ideas. Probably ought to think about not ever allowing the dog to actually pick up the diversion bird in training. They will pick it up at the test, but it's probably easier to train for it once you build the expectation that they are not getting that one.

Good luck. My dog is a high roller too, and he had a hard time with the diversion bird.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    Here is how I do it.
    You and dog at pitchers mound. Short hand thrown mark toward second base. Only 20 yards or so. Send dog. On the way back, throw another 1/2 way between home plate and first base. Dog almost has to come to you and finish retrieve before going for diversion. Do several, keep the marks short.
    Next day throw directly to first base. dog should continue to you to finish retrieve. Be ready with the HERE whistle when you throw the diversion. Do several.
    Next time, throw diversion toward third base. Same thing.
    Next several sessions, throw it a little closer to the dog alternate left and right. Be ready with the HERE whistle.
    I can throw diversions right at my older dogs and they don't pay any attention.
    Only time I have ever had a switch in a test was in a Finished HRC test where the bird tech was very late kicking off the winger and the diversion bird hit my dog in the head on a water retrieve. She dropped the blind bird and stepped back. Both birds floating together. I told her to FETCH and of course she picked up the bird with the ribbon.
    A good set of judges would have called a no bird, but one was in a hurry to get the test over for a family event, so we had the privilege of honoring on lead.
    Take our time with it and this ought to work for you.
    MP
    Have you ever trained this on the DT or ST. Same way!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

It all boils down to OB, diversion bird goes off, hit the sit whistle, if the dog doesn't sit well then you need to work on the sit whistle more, if the dog sits but drops the bird in mouth, walk out there and reinforce fetch, but don't let him pick up the diversion bird until he does the first part right. Over time the'll sit on there own as the diversion is thrown.

Training for it has been covered. I don't consider it bullet proof until they will hold onto a bumper on return while a shackled flyer is thrown. After that, I am very comfortable & relaxed at the test during that portion.
    Mark Land